Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2004 1:06:57 PM EDT
I was wondering what you guys think?  If you could pic one precision AR to depend on in the field, or just really want, which one would it be?  Why?  What factors would make your decision?  

Remman
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The RECCE. With a TA 31 or TA 31F W/ LaRue mount. They are smaller and lighter than the rest and can be used for  CQB when needed (W/ the TA 31). The RECCE is just as accurate as the others also. That's going to be my next build, already have the lower being built. I want to wait on the upper until the KAC URX comes out! Then the call to WES@ MSTN and the old credit card balance goes up!LOL!  I was also thinking of a LMT MRP 16" with the stainless barrel upgrade. Decisions, UGGHHH.........
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this idea for a 16" midlength midweight (.750), LaRue forend (when the midlength is available), LaRue scope mount and a Leupold 1.5-5 illuminated. Maybe add Troy sights to the rails, a decent trigger and an A1 stock.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Wes
   you build all of them.  which one would you want?
Remman
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, since you ask, for my first AWB sunset AR I'm going to build a RecceWannabe...

It will be a 16" Bushmaster H-bar turned down to SPR profile ( .850 under the handguards, standard .725 in front of gas block ), with a YHM modular Free-float handguard, YHM gas block/flip up front sight, KAC 600m BUIS, VLTOR telestock, topped of by a TA-31F.

Factors:

YHM stuff to save money for the important stuff: those ACOGs don't come cheap!

SPR profile barrel to save weight

Wait...maybe I'm not the Wes you were looking for! But all us Wes's know our ARs!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I am wondering the same question, which to pick next. I am wondering what might come from LMT after next week. What kind of complete packages they might sell, I saw a recce/spr combo over in the indusry forum from MSTN.

It was a mid lenght recce carbine with a spr style brake and in 6.8, thats what I would love to build.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I saw a recce/spr combo over in the indusry forum from MSTN.
It was a mid lenght recce carbine with a spr style brake and in 6.8, thats what I would love to build.

I'd go for it. OOPS, I already did , Twin #1.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Get (or build) all three.  I did.

SAM-R pic is on hold until Monday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
One advantage rarely mentioned of the 17-18" barrels is that they can utilize a rifle-length gas system, which has an even "softer" impulse than the mid-length gas system.  This is especially useful in retaining sight picture during double-taps/hammers and general rapid fire.

A 17-18" is barely noticably longer than a 16", but you can utilize the rifle-length gas system and get 50-100fps more velocity.

18" 6.8SPC (which doesn't have the rifle-length gas system, but use your imagination)
[ link to larger image ]

Two 17"'s at the MSTN booth at RM3G
[ link to larger image ]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Zak,

Are you enlarging the gas ports on the 17-18" barrels with rifle length gas systems?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Best to ask Wes or Paul what they're doing.   I haven't cut on a barrel yet.

-z
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
 ZAK,  HAVE YOU HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH YOUR PRI GENIII HANDGUARDS? TWO OF MINE CAME LOOSE WHERE THE CARBON MEETS ALUMINUM RIGHT BEFORE THE EASY TAKE OFF NUT.  THE EPOXY WORE OUT OR NEVER BONDED.  I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE GUN-KOTE SOLIVENT PROBLEM AND YES MINE IS BLACK...

TO ANSWER TO THE POST I LIKE THE MID LENGTH DESIGN ON THE REECE, BUT AFTER SHOOTING MY MK12 MOD0 IN .223 SO MUCH, ID SAY I PREFER 18"  AND THE FULL LENGTH GAS TUBE.  A SMALLER DIA PROFILE(SPR) WOULD .850 OR EVEN .750 DOWN TO .725(GASBLOCK) WOULD BE PREFERABLE ON A WEAPON YOU SHOULDER FIRE ALOT.

MY DREAM WEAPON FOR THE FIELD WOULD CONSIST OF, SOCOM MFG LOWER, JEWEL 2 STAGE, LMT UPPER MRP, LMT ENHANCED BOLT AND CARRIER, MAGPUL 93, FALCON ERGO, 18" SS ROCK BARREL,
TS-30A1 OR EVEN SN-4 USOPTICS. TROY SIGHTS, AND A NICE OPSINC MOD 12 SUPPRESSOR. .223 WOULD BE JUST FINE WITH MK262 MOD0..

JUST MY 2 PENNIES
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
REXLOGIC,

I've had two minor problems with PRI GenIII tubes, but not the one you refer to.  Neither of them rendered the rifle inaccurate nor inoperable.   Both were addressed aggressively by PRI and were/will be solved to my satisfaction.

-z
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top