BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:13:29 PM EDT
This is already posted in General Discussion,so I thought I could let you guys know that dont go over there.My dad says he will no longer sign for the rifle I have been saving up for.His reasons are that I dont take care of the one I have.I clean it every 200 rounds.And he says I dont need another.So,for all those looking forward to see my project,its off.Thanks for the help to all who helped me durring the time I was deciding accesories.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
too bad kid
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell him you'll share it with him....

Rich
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
He is only interested in bolt guns.I've tried everything.Its final.Everything that i've worked for in the past 3-4 years is gone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
bites man

just wate for your 18th
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He is only interested in bolt guns.I've tried everything.Its final.Everything that i've worked for in the past 3-4 years is gone.

Relax, you'll be 18 before long.  All is not lost.

I promise.

ETA: See if he'll buy you a .50 bolt-gun
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Slap him beside the head and call him a wuss,  sorry to hear about that, you'll  be 18 before yea know it.

TG
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Wel I have parents that are anti gun, because they think I'm going to shoot my eye out.

Wait, save, and when your 18 you'll have one badass rifle.
MadMan
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine when I was 16... just one more year and I can get my own stuff

My dad isnt really that into guns, I cant even get him to shoot the AR He only fires a rifle for hunting purposes...

Well at least you can get a really nice precision rifle
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
In my opinon and based on my up bringing to respect my parent's decesions, especially when I lived under their roof , is to just accept this decesion and wait out this setback until you are on your own. You'll have plenty of opportunity to buy any firearm you wish, when you're on your own and making choices with your own finances. I do feel for you though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
see if you can talk him into an M1...from M1 make the jump to AR, it will be much less of a shock then 22 bolt action to evil black Die Hard With A Vengence rifle....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Just keep that money and wait till your 18, I hate waiting myself but it is worth it sometimes... How much longer do you have to go anyway?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear about that.  I have been saving up so I could buy a rifle for each one one of my kids.  THree down and two to go.  My father is thinking of buying each of them a deer gun (probaly a bolt gun).  So I figure they will have a good start!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my first Lower at age 17. . .
I now have 1.9 AR's and 7 more lowers. . . .
And I am only 19. . .
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't know I could buy a gun until I was 18

I've been pouring my finances into it ever since.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't take care of one rifle, it isnt time to get another one.

You don't want a large investment into an item that you don't take care of.

You're old man has final say, and Im sure he has his reasons.

My old man and I had a similar argument when I turned 18 and wanted an AR.  He is into the bolt actions, the classics (Garands, 1903s, shiny shotties) and it took a long time for him to warm up to my new baby.

Wait a little while and prove to him that you can take care of it.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my first AR at a gunshow off of some dirthead looking to make rent. I was very young and used to hide it under my bed. My mom found it with a couple playboys/crusty socks.hing

Point is youll have one befor you know it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Just hang onto that money and buy one when you hit 18.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Think of it this way, if you save your money til you turn 18 you'll have cash for some really cool toys. Turn your negative into a future positive and start a list of guns you'd like and save everything you can. By that time there may be better options for you as it looks like the ban will be dropped. Maybe an AUG, HK91, etc. or maybe a registered full auto. My guess is you may want to put the $$$$ into a car or bike to impress the ladies with by that time though. Oh to be young again. LOL
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Save your money, buy a car, find a chick, take her out and get her pregnant.  That will show him.

Just kidding.  

Serious on the save your money part though.  Concentrate on other stuff for now, get the rifle when you are 18.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
God, I'm old. When did that happen?
TGorsk, thanks a lot for reminding me that I'm elderly now. Damn kids nowdays...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#21]
where in WI are you?  if you're near Superior i'll let you shoot my AR all you want.  only condition is you pay for the ammo.  i can't afford to feed it myself.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I know its hard to believe, but your father still might know what is best for you.  He certainly knows you better than we do, and judging him based only on the idea that he won't let you have another weapon is rather wrong.  I'll side with him on this one, and say that when you are older, you might also.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing, and if you enjoy weapons, enlist in the military!  Most of us here have already served, or are currently serving.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, so if this is the case, consider buying all the pieces and accessories you need to build that dream rifle, EXCEPT for the regulated part, the lower, one by one.

Proudly show off each acquisition, explaining the qualities and details. Especially if you are building a "precision" model. Then carefully store it away.

Maybe, just maybe, if he sees you are both determined to have your dream rifle, and are willing to work for it and wait the necessary time until you turn 18, you MIGHT turn him around. If not, you'll have a fine precision rifle to shoot shortly after your 18th birthday.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Tell him you need a .50 bolt gun.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry to hear that but don't blow that money.  Keep saving and by the time you're able to buy one you'll have enough saved up for a Class III!  That'll show your dad!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I got mine when I was 15 or 14.  I don't remember.  I actually brought the shooting to my dad; now he loves it.  

Just wait until you are 18.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#27]
You could save your money, and gradually buy the needed accessories. I know one fellow who went hogwild, bought 2 ARs, 2AKs, and a pistol, and then couldn't afford to buy very much ammo. A more balanced approach would be better, in my opinion. Stock up on mags, clean supplies, slings, and whatever you need beforehand. Then when you turn 18, buy the gun you want. You'll already have everything you'l need except maybe ammo.

At least you have a dad, and one who shoots at all. I grew up with effectively no dad, and an anti-gun mother. I had never even laid eyes on a real gun til I was 18. So you've got a head start on some of us.

Good luck, and hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#28]
You could always do what I did many moons ago when age was an obstacle for so many things (career/firearms purchases).  Join Uncle Sam's Army and they give you your very own (Ok its not yours to keep, but loaners are fun too.  Not to mention they supply the ammo.) M16, M60, M2, M9, M249, MK19 and now the M240.  Some of my fondest memories are those of my Army days.  Its like anything else, its what you make of it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Well,
You say your dad is into bolt guns and such and NOT AR's.  Has he fired an AR?  I bet if you can meet up with someone at the range and have him fire an AR (especially a 24" bull barreled "varmint" gun since he's into accurate bolt guns) he'd change his tune.  Also, start babying your existing rifle to show him you're "changing"

Rich
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This is already posted in General Discussion,so I thought I could let you guys know that dont go over there.My dad says he will no longer sign for the rifle I have been saving up for.His reasons are that I dont take care of the one I have.I clean it every 200 rounds.And he says I dont need another.So,for all those looking forward to see my project,its off.Thanks for the help to all who helped me durring the time I was deciding accesories.

Damn if only cleaning every 200 rounds is not taking care of it, than I'm neglecting mine cuz I just cleaned it last week after 2500 rounds between the last cleaning.

Take that money throw it in the bank and wait till yer 18 than build up one totaly awsome gun. Sorry to hear yer dad went back on his word.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#31]
My dad wigged when I traded my Marlin Camp 9 for an AK and a boat load of extras.
I was 18 so he could only gripe.
He kept telling me how useless and inaccurate they are.
I went down to Guns R Us before they became Guns Were Us here in Phoenix and made the trade.
I brought it home and showed him the new Sar1, he made me pull the furniture off so he could make it look like a real rifle.
It came looking like it was baked in pancake syrup.
On my way home the next day I called his cell to see why he wasn't home yet.
He was at the gun store picking out his own Sar1.
It was the same with the AR, only they were unreliable this time.
Now he can bump fire with the best of them and keeps telling me that I should never get rid of any of them.
I'm just one of the lucky ones I guess.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#32]
TGorsk08...sorry your dad's a pansie....but that's NOT your fault. You turned out OK so at least  he's done something right.. I've been shooting since I was five.  Had an M1 Cabine when I was eight and a mini 14 when I was twelve.  My dad was one mean SOB but he always made sure I was fed, had good clothes and plenty of ammo.

Tell your dad to stop being a whiney weenie!  As far as him bitching aboot you only cleaning your gun every 200 rounds...so what?  It's a gun not a fucking horse!

Anyway, I just had to rant aboot that...there is something not right about a man who doesn't indulge a boy to be a firearms owner in extremis.
  Like the boys are saying: save up the cash and get a super sweet Colt....oh, fuck no...BUY TWO Colt AR's when you are eighteen...just to be a proper dickhead aboot it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#33]
TGorsk08,
Your Dad's one of the good guys. Don't forget that.
Practice with his bolt rifles if you can.
I'm a bolt rifle guy who's recently developed a taste for AR's.

You will get your AR, don't worry.

Jeff308
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Funny, I'm 48 and I'm very greatful to just have the single AR-15 that I own.  Consider yourself fortunate to have the one you do.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

When you are a teenager, things like this seem like the end of the world.
It's not.
Please don't let it get you too depressed, and give your dad the benefit of the doubt. Being a parent is not easy, and we (parents) do make mistakes, but hopefully your dad is making his decision based on what he thinks is best for you.
Rather than try to change his mind, understand that he has his reasons for doing this and that the more mature you behave in this situation, the more he will respect you and treat you like an adult.
Ultimately, this will lead to more freedom for you and more support for decisions in the future.

Most of us here can appreciate what it feels like to have black gun fever as a teenager.

Being an adult actually means learning that life often forces you to do or accept things that you don't want to.
The difference between that experience at 40 and that experience at 16 is that the sting of the pain and disappointment becomes less and less traumatic with experience and perspective. You learn to think about things from a longer term view.

In the mean time, we will all keep fighting to protect the second amendment until you are able to buy your evil black gun.
It is your birthright as an American to enjoy this freedom granted by God.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#36]

I don't know how long you have to wait  till' your 18, but you might try this: hide the books and mags. or anything that reminds him of the issue, don't talk about it either. Let some time pass by, catch him on one of his happy days, he might bite.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#37]
My father and I are both huge Colt SAA, early Marlin leaver action, and Browning junkies, we both also own a few rolling blocks, falling blocks, and bolt actions.
I have always been a big fan of 1911s so I have a few of those as well. My father wouldn't dream of buying a 1911 until he fired my super tricked out Springfield then bought one a month later for himself.
I bought my first AR to help out a friend with money problems, I didn’t want it, didn’t think I would ever shoot it. One day I was bored and gave it a go, of course I loved it. About a year later I had gone wild with that AR and pumped about 1200 bucks into new upper, stocks, Aimpoint M2, etc. After several shooting events with my father I convinced him to give it a go just to try the Aimpoint sights.
Later that day he talked me out of my AR, claiming that I owed it to him for raising me!
So to make a long story longer, take your father and a friend with an AR to where ever it is you do you shooting and maybe he will change his mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I bought my first AR at a gunshow off of some dirthead looking to make rent. I was very young and used to hide it under my bed. My mom found it with a couple playboys/crusty socks.

Nothing has changed, I am working on another that is stashed in the guest bedroom from my girlfriend! The only thing that has changed, no more crusty socks

I know I'm off topic, but am I the only one that finds it disturbing that someone was hiding a rifle under there bed so there parent's don't find it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#39]
[Post by Karaya1, Nilats forgot to log off my comp again ]

I had to fight tooth and nail to get my first AR.
My parents thought all hell would break loose.
1 year later they want to go shoot it often and i had to upgrade my range pass to a family one lol.

They are pretty hardcore liberal also, voting for Kerry and all.
Last time i convinced them to vote for Nader.
lol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought my first AR at a gunshow off of some dirthead looking to make rent. I was very young and used to hide it under my bed. My mom found it with a couple playboys/crusty socks.

Nothing has changed, I am working on another that is stashed in the guest bedroom from my girlfriend! The only thing that has changed, no more crusty socks

I know I'm off topic, but am I the only one that finds it disturbing that someone was hiding a rifle under there bed so there parent's don't find it?

When I was a 19 year old college boy living at home, I used to keep the guns of my 19 year old friends that lived at home whose parents hated guns.  Whatever you can do for the cause...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#42]
The main thing that makes me mad about this is he changed his mind so close to the AWB sunset.And if cleaning every 200 rounds is bad,well WTF would good be than?I am not into bolt guns.I had one before the AR.It was the most boring gun to shoot on earth.I hate sand bags.Oh,and whoever suggested that I consider the military,a few words for you,way ahead of ya!!Thinkin SEALs or Marine Corp.Now,back to the subject.Well,what is there to say.Thanks for the support/info guys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Be careful how you talk around your parents.  My step daughter is pro gun but her 16 year old son talked about CNS shots & wound ballistics so much he scared the XXXX out of her.  He used to have acess to his firearms, now theyre locked up.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry to hear that.  Keep hangin around, though.  We'd hate to lose you as a memeber.  Just think of it this way:  in a coouple of years, there will be even better stuff to add to your build.  Just keep the money tucked away, keep saving more cas, and buy everything yourself when the time comes.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Had to wait till my 18th to get my first. Ain't gonna kill you either. Sorry kid.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Yea my dad bought me my Colt SP1 in 1987 I was 17 yrs old.

Ask your dad to buy it and put it away until he feels you can have it.

Then take care of you rifle, room yard etc. Show you dad you are reponsible enough to have it, and maybe then you will get it.

[devil speaking on] have your grandfather buy it and keep it at his house until you turn 18[devil speaking off]

disclamer: I am not responsible for any advice given by the devil and total disagree with anything he says.

FREE
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I remember wanting an AK back when they were like $120.00 a piece for Poly Tech's... My Mother would never let me have one and then I turned 18 and went to Boot Camp, 12 months later Clinton signed the ban into effect
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#48]
You already have one, I doubt it's properly pimped out per ARFCOM requirements, buy some accessories, it will be like having a new rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You already have one, I doubt it's properly pimped out per ARFCOM requirements, buy some accessories, it will be like having a new rifle.

I think he means he has a bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey, no worries young fella, if you live in southeastern Wisconsin I'll let you shoot a full auto M16 in 9mm @ in our indoor range.  Just call up, drive over, and satisfy that urge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top