Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 4:28:54 PM EDT
I recently came across a flash supressor that slips over a 16" barrel to make it look like you have a commando upper, but still retain a full 16" barrel.

Any opinions on this? I like the look of the commando uppers, but do not like the balistics loss of a 11.5" barrel vs a 16".

A link to it on DPMS is here:

It seems like a cool compromise.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just thinking to myself today how that would be perfect if you wanted to do a commando build but get some extra velocity.  I haven't used one obviously but thank you for bringing it to my attention.!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, and it does add weight to the front of the barrel and makes it nose heavy. If you want it just shoot me an e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Does it actually look like you have a 11.5" barrel with the 5.5" FS added when you use one of these? I realize that it does not look *exactly* like the standard 5.5" FS, but it is very close.

How tightly does it fit to the barrel and how to you screw it onto the barrel? It does not appear to have any flat spots, so do you need to use a strap wrench?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I also forgot to ask if it works with a heavy or govt profile barrel? My 16" CAR is a HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The DPMS unit will fit either Gov. or HBAR . The Bushmaster unit is available in each size . Both have the same length of "slip-over".
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the real deal 5.5" flash suppressor.  It really works too.  Better than a Phantom by far.  If anyone wants it, just e-mail me.  15-bucks will have it to your door (USA only).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
out of curiosity, would it fit on a M4 profile barrel?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
yea,
It will fit on an M4, but on mine there is a little gap between the FH and the barrel.
Took it off for another project in the future.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
out of curiosity, would it fit on a M4 profile barrel?

Yes it will.

I had one on a 16" barrel, and though it looked cool, it lengthened OAL of bbl to about 17.5".  Then there's the weight issue mentioned above, made even worse by my HBAR.

IMHO, the best use of these is permanently attached to a 14.5" bbl.  You get the cool commando look, with the performance of an M4.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
If your concerned about the extra weight do what I did and have Kurt of "Kurts Kustom Firearms" make you one out of aluminum. Only added a couple of ounces instead of 3/4 of a pound.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I actualy have a fake Knights silencer for sale on EE that mounts this same way.  Once mounted these do not touch the barrel but feel pretty secure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top