Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2004 3:26:35 PM EDT
Is there a way to tell the difference between an SP-1 upper and an M-16A1 upper when both have triangular HGs?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My Colt CAR-15 SP-1 upper does not have the forward bolt assist (slab side). I think the M16A1 had the foreard bolt assist. My upper did not have the brass deflector either, but I think that did not come along until the A2 versions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The SP1 will have the large pivot hole as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
large pivet pin hole.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
So if I have a small front pivot hole (std milspec) and no forward assist or deflector, then what do I have?  An Air Force M-16 upper, or an early SP-1?  Flashhider is an A1 birdcage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be either one, but an AF upper is much more common. Colt did produce a very small run of white label small pin rifles, but they didn't specifically document what the SN's were. The Colt rifles are few and far between, but the AF still has A1 uppers in their inventory.

Quoted:
So if I have a small front pivot hole (std milspec) and no forward assist or deflector, then what do I have?  An Air Force M-16 upper, or an early SP-1?  Flashhider is an A1 birdcage.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top