Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2004 5:30:17 PM EDT
 I got the itch again and decided to build another AR15. When I called a dealer that sells stripped lowers to see when the next shipment should be in, he gave me the impression that he didn't have time for my business. I did buy a stripped receiver from him before and liked the uniqueness of his lowers, they have added markings on them, but I can live without these markings. I looked at a few places that sell stripped uppers and lowers but would like to look around a little more, I know I'm looking over a place but I cannot remember their name. I've already told my FFL of my intentions and he said just let him know. My plans are to buy matched upper and lower receivers and national Match trigger to begin with. Does anyone have any suggestions on were to find these parts? They don't have to be Rock River Arms receivers but I'm already familiar with the quality of these. I just want to make sure I don't overlook anyplace.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells has Rock River matched set,A2 or flattop,$310.00 ($220.00 dealer). Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Adco also has RRA matched upper/lower combos, although they seem to be out of stock on them at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Adco also has RRA matched upper/lower combos, although they seem to be out of stock on them at the moment.

Every part that has anything to do with accuracy is in the upper.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unless you really want a "matched" set - it doesnt matter how tight the lower and upper fit together.  Every part that has anything to do with accuracy is in the upper.

+2
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to be seen as a smart ass, but why matched upper and lower? I was always under the impression that having to "match" upper and lower meant that one or the other was out of spec. Stick with a Tier-A company, and you won't have to bother. Colt or Bushmaster come to mind. I'm sure someone will chip in their ideas too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't want to be seen as a smart ass, but why matched upper and lower? I was always under the impression that having to "match" upper and lower meant that one or the other was out of spec. Stick with a Tier-A company, and you won't have to bother. Colt or Bushmaster come to mind. I'm sure someone will chip in their ideas too.

Not really.  Colt and bushy often have very loose fits between upper and lower receiver.  RRA started making theirs a really tight fit, mostly due to not providing a machined releif in the lower receiver.... and many people saw this as a sign of "quality".... and some vendors started selling "matched" uppers and lowers they they would test fit as tight, and then sell as a set.

Heck, there was a market for it, so some people tried to supply that market..... no matter how misinformed their reasoning was behind it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
What I should have said is that I want the upper and lower match in color. Or at least be very close. I have had some that were kinda "purplish." I apologize I can easily see how my statement was misleading. Alogh I do like a tight fit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Stag Arms lower from this guy:  Eagle Firearms

The stag lowers are finished in a deep black, and match the color of RRA, DPMS, Oly, and off-brand upper receivers.

Bushmaster pretty much is different with each batch, and typically lighter in shade than RRA.  It always a risk.... but if you specify this is important to you, I would bet Chris would find two that look real good together.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks FALARAK. I'll check him out. It's surprising to find out how many dealers sell stripped lowers. Although if it came down to the line I'd buy from someone that supported AR15.com. I just need to buy before I spend my $ on junk.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top