Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2004 2:27:10 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a 16" kit from Model "1". I was either thinking of the 16'' AR15 Varmint Rifle Kit with SS Heavy Barrel, 1-8 twist, Fluted & Threaded. Or 16'' Pre-Ban AR15 C.A.R. Kit SS Barrel, 1-8 twist, Free Float HG, Fluted & Threaded. I will be using this for varmint & three gun matches. So I will have a target scope & EoTech on throw levers. I'm looking for an all around gun. But with the bull barrel, muzzle brakes and FH (post AWB) will be smaller than OSD of Barrel. So which would you get?

16" Varmint Kit

CAR Kit
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
There kits are pretty nice but there customer service sucks ass. Make sure to order exactly what you want because when it comes to asking them questions after the fact they tend to ignore you of give very short , mis-informed answers.  I recently questioned them about chamber size and asked them if  there was a way to tell the chamber size that they sent me. The email I got in reply said that it was OK to shoot 5.56 and .223 in the chamber they sent out . I found out the chamber is in fact .223 and although possible to shoot 5.56 ammo thru the barrel, it can be dangerous . When I sent a reply with links to SAAMI web site that contradicted there reply, I got ignored.  They in fact gave out dangerous info.

The quality of there product is decent. The finish on there uppers is kinda pissy but still functional. My upper has a rough cast apperance even though they CLAIM they are forged.  Just make sure, if you want a 5.56 chamber to ask for one, cuase they will send you a .223 if you dont. And make sure if you want a chrome chamber and bore to ask for it the first time, cause if you call back 10 minutes later to change the order, they tell you to change the order will take an additional 2 weeks since the initial order was already in packing.

I learned my lesson and have a new M4 barrel on the way from Del-Ton . Seem to be great people there and where more then willing to answer any question I had concerning there products.  +1 for Del-Ton
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
viper5194
I read your post about that. If I understand correctly most feel its safe to shoot 5.56 out of 223 chambers. So can you comment on the chambering and what barrel I should order? I want to place this order in the AM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]

If I understand correctly most feel its safe to shoot 5.56 out of 223 chambers.

No, most feel it is stupid to do so.  Everyone knows it is safe to shoot .223 & 5.56 out of a 5.56 chamber.  I've seen several weapons lock up tight after firing 5.56, when they were chambered for .223.

Back to your question, I would go with the CAR15 if I had any ideas of every carrying it as a weapon.  If it was all about target shooting only, I would go with the bull barrel varmit gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get a Bushmater kit from Busmaster or GunSmoke.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
OK.... Thanks for those replies. I'll order the 5.56 chamber in a CAR15. Do you Guys know any thing about the GRIZZLY STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER – $105.00 SHIPPED  from Ameetec-Arms? I'd like to get two or three lowers orderd tomorrow, registered as pistols. I have a dealer that does not mind logging stripped lowers in as pistols. I have a pistol kit on order from M1S now.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I would contact Iblis and get a Mega lower for $90.  I recently got a Mega lower from him and I was astounded at the quality.  It really shows that the machine show that is making them is used to doing high end work, these are much nicer than most of my other lowers.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544&page=1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If your lazy like me, get the chrome lined chamber and bore, my M1S M4 kit on a Oly lwr has been 100%.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Talked to Iblis to day and ordered two Gator lowers should be able to PU Friday.  From M1S I ordered 5.56 fluted SS 1-8 Barrel, Free Float HG, CAR Kit. Which came to $525. I think this will fill the bill quite nice.

And I plan to order a LAR Grizzly lower (Because I like the Logo) from Ameetec-Arms. Is there any reason I should not buy from Ameetec-Arms? They seem to have good feed back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
None from M1S, honestly.  They ignore your questions once you  point out contradictions in their statements.  I only give my money to dealers who at least make an effort at forthright honesty.

M1S:  "Our barrels are 4150 and made by E.R. Shaw."

Me:  "But..E.R. Shaw says they only make 4140 barrels."

*crickets chirp*

-5 M1S
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top