Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2004 8:53:37 AM EDT
Planning on buying an M4 upper assembly in the future.  Which would you buy?  LMT or CMMG DPMS?

Any suggestions on what I should do to modify it?  Rails? Vert Grips?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I would get the LMT upper
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
CMMG are great guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Not all DPMS barrels that I've run across have a 5.56 chamber. I would want to make sure of that before ordering. There have also been reports of DPMS carrier failures.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There have also been reports of DPMS carrier failures.

Heard the same with LMT Bolt issues.

But, I don't want to start an argument.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#5]
The CMMG/DPMS uppers are supposed to have a true 5.56NATO chamber.  I cant say that I've personally measured the chamber to assure this, but I can say that thus far, the upper I have has run flawlessly, with the short 120 round session I had with it.

The upper I recieved had a chromed bolt carrier, which I was not expecting, but does feel very slick and hasn't seemed to be a problem.

The upper is T-marked, came with an M4 profile, chome lined 1in7" barrel, and seems to be New-Bushmaster-Black in color.  It was very slightly off in color to my friend's prebanBM lower I tested function with.  

My only gripe is that I am going to have to use my +.040 sight post with it because I like the ARMS #40, and it seems that wherever my #40 goes, so does my taller front site post.

Also printed a cute little 3/4" group at 50 yds with my EOtech using XM193 ammo.

Overall I am very happy so far.

Tex78

FORGOT TO ADD:

I swapped over my RASII to this upper and after a reinstall because I didn't think I needed to read the directions, it went on without a hiccup, locked to it in the standard super-rigid fashion.

I like this setup, but to make mounting a scope easier for accuracy testing, I will might go with a system like the LaRue, Troy, or DD in a 12" setup down the road.  That is unless you allready have an ACOG, in which the RASII has the no issues to worry about.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my LMT form Denney's guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Our uppers & barrels are not made by DPMS.  Our first batch was, but now we "roll our own".  Our receivers do have T markings and are the correct height.  Barrels are 4150 steel, chrome lined and 5.56 chamber with a 1/7 twist.

Jeff

CMMG:

I'm curious about the railed forearms on your SBR uppers; who makes them?
Thanks
Balisong
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top