Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 7:41:31 AM EDT
I'm looking at some of these forearm rails and wondering how comfortable rifles are to shoot
with them attached.  They look like they could be abrasive during recoil.

Do you pretty much need to forward second pistol grip to use these?

Thanks, Don
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Either a vertical grip or rail covers...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If you aren't going to mount a vfg on one, I don't see much need for a rail, personally.

If you want a light out there, but not a vfg, you could just use a Surefire M500.

That being said, I really like the MagPul XT rail covers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
you can take the bottom and side rails off of a SIR rail.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the ideas. I'm curious what you all think of the utility of having the vertical grip.  Is it a help in some shooting scenarios (and a nuisance in others)?

I'm getting my evil conversion features done first but I'm starting to get intrigued by all the options a rail would provide for lights.  I like the smooth foreend with a bit of rail at the end
here:

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/ALOSTYR.htm

But the foreward grip looks linda interesting.

Think I'll work on my basic shooting a bit before I go all Buck Rogers...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
i've only had my fwd grip (tango down) for a few months but i like it a lot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
A VFG sucks for shooting prone but it's great for standing up, especially if you'll be holding the rifle for a while or speed shooting.

That's the experience I've had. Some people swear by them, some curse them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the ideas. I'm curious what you all think of the utility of having the vertical grip.  Is it a help in some shooting scenarios (and a nuisance in others)?

I'm getting my evil conversion features done first but I'm starting to get intrigued by all the options a rail would provide for lights.  I like the smooth foreend with a bit of rail at the end
here:

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/ALOSTYR.htm

Some guys swear by the vertical grip - it apparently makes for a more natural "aggressive fighting stance."  Personally, I shoot many things besides AR's, pluse the MTOE at work still calls for A2s - only the infantry guys have gone to rails in the Army - I prefer to keep the muscle memory somewhat less confused.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A VFG sucks for shooting prone but it's great for standing up, especially if you'll be holding the rifle for a while or speed shooting.

I have to disagree with that.  I have gone prone quite a bit with a SF M900, as well as a plain/cheap VFG.  It wasn't a problem.

It is no longer than a 30rd 5.56 mag.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

here:

www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/ALOSTYR.htm

nice set up.
I have a VG on my M4gery SIR and Magpul panels on my YHM mid-lenght tube.

mark
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to disagree with that.  I have gone prone quite a bit with a SF M900, as well as a plain/cheap VFG.  It wasn't a problem.

It is no longer than a 30rd 5.56 mag.

I guess it's a personal preference.

It bugs me. It makes the rifle sit up too high. Not that I have to avoid contact with the ground, but just holding it with my arm in my normal prone position makes it a tad too high for my taste.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear gloves.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top