Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 5:21:12 PM EDT
I'm sending out more letters against the ban to my reps:

Arlen Specter
Rick Santorum
Curt Weldon

Can't send enough especially now that it's so close to dying.
Anybody else sending or sent any?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been sending out 4 letters a week (two senators, one congressman, one president) for over two years now.  If they don't know my position by now, they never will, but those letters are going to keep going out until either the ban dies or I do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually 5 1/2 days as of the time that this is being written, midnight eastern time, September 13.

Robert
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Actually 5 1/2 days as of the time that this is being written, midnight eastern time, September 13.

Robert

Actually, it's midnight Sept. 12th, the last day that the ban is in effect is Sept.12.  as of Sept.13 the ban is over. So it's midnight Sept.12th.  The second the clock ticks 12:01am on Sept.13th the ban will be over.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT for clarification on when it REALLY takes a dump. I still think it's midnight on the 12th of Sept. so that 11:59pm, 12,Sept. will be the last tic of the clock for the AWB, right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there any clerification of the bans experation on a gov web site. Its not that I doubt you. However my FFL belives its mid night of the 13th. I would like to show him proof. in hopes of geting to pick up on monday insted of tuesday.

Thanks Bill
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The BATFE web site is strangly quiet on the Sunset of the AWB, go figure, but I did find this:
www.mikecaswell.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=3090
Which tends to support that ban sunsetting on midnight the morning of the 13th.  I know this is all so confusing to some. But the way it reads is that the ban went into effect on the 13th so the 12th will be the last day of the ban and the 13th will be the first "free day" when the ban ends.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Found this on another web site:
On September 13, 1994, domestic gun manufacturers were required to stop production of semi-automatic assault weapons and ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds except for military or police use. Imports of assault weapons not already banned by administrative action under Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush were also halted. Assault weapons and ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds produced prior to September 13, 1994, were "grandfathered" in under the law and can still be possessed and sold.

So logically speaking, On Sept. 13th, 2004 we CAN manufacture them again. That means at the storke of midnight between the 12th and 13th the ban goes "poof" and is no more.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya I dont think that will be good enough to satisfy my FFL. I have also searched over the batf only to come up with nothing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ya I dont think that will be good enough to satisfy my FFL. I have also searched over the batf only to come up with nothing.

LOL, I don't think that BATFE want's to admit that they'll be losing some of their power come the day of the 13th, DeNile ain't just a river in Egypt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
From the Link:

Exhibit A (from the text of the ban):
Quote:
This title and the amendments made by this title--

(1) shall take effect on the date of enactment of this Act; and

(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that date.

Exhibit B (from the ATF website FAQs):
Quote:
It is generally unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess semiautomatic assault weapons after September 13, 1994, the effective date of the law.

Exhibit C (from the ATF website FAQs):
Quote:
Licensees obtaining semiautomatic assault weapons which do not have the restrictive marking should obtain from the seller an invoice, bill of sale, or other documentation indicating that the weapon in its present configuration was lawfully possessed on or before September 13, 1994.

Exhibit B says that it's illegal AFTER the 13th - which, I believe, means they were still legal ON the 13th - so they will still be Illegal on the 13th of this month to make a full ten years.

Also Exhibit C say lawfully possessed ON the 13th - if the ban was in affect on the 13th, you couldn't buy/take posession on the 13th.

What's one day anyway.. I have to work regardless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It would be just like the BATFE to check web sites for pics of "illegal" AW's that were posted ON the 13th because we thought the ban was over.  I still think the ban went into effect ON the 13th and will die ON the 13th but just to be safe I'll wait until the 14th to post a pic.  Besides, I probably won't have my ARMS#40A until then anyway, don't want to post a pic of a half done rifle, just won't look right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top