Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2004 10:58:20 AM EDT
Anyone ever see a piece of brass get ejected, somehow turn around and get slammed back into the chamber ass first?  Its too bad we didn't have a camera, that was probably the most bizarre AR15 malfunction I've ever seen.  This was on top of the FTE's that occured.  Anyone know how the brass could have flipped around after firing?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone ever see a piece of brass get ejected, somehow turn around and get slammed back into the chamber ass first?  Its too bad we didn't have a camera, that was probably the most bizarre AR15 malfunction I've ever seen.  This was on top of the FTE's that occured.  Anyone know how the brass could have flipped around after firing?

Sounds like he needs a new extractor spring.  If you extractor spring is weak the ejector spring can overpower the extractor and cause the extractor to release the brass before the bolt moves far enough backward to ejection.  What happens then is that they now loose brass and a fresh round will get all hung up in the upper reciever and its a real bitch sometimes to get it 'unstuck'.  Go with a Wolff extra power M4 extractor spring.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I forgot to mention that the ejector plunger hole was out of round and brass shavings were stuck in the outer rim of the hole, which kinda screwed up the ejector.  Good call though!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Damn, I forgot to mention that the ejector plunger hole was out of round and brass shavings were stuck in the outer rim of the hole, which kinda screwed up the ejector.  Good call though!

Damn better just get a new bolt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My FNFAL used to do that before getting a new extractor and spring.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Happened to me on my ParaOrdnance 10mm pistol... in the middle of a big field stage at the IPSC World Shoot X. You would not believe the language coming out of my mouth as I pounded the pistol on a nearby prop to loosen up the stuck case . Came out eventually, and I still did OK on the match.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a odd jam on my "Range Bitch" AR, Thats the M4ergy I keep so that friends and others can shoot all the time.... Anyway Case rim end was jammed up agianst the locking lugs and the case mouth was jammed into the hole in the charging handle(gas tube hole) locked up tight and couldnt clear with the CH had to pry down the case to clear it........Udog
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Strangest jam I ever had was firing my Uzi, and somehow a piece of empty brass got in FRONT of the bolt, jamming it open.

Uzis eject through an opening in the bolt itself, as it encloses the barrel. This piece came out through the opening in the bolt, bounced off the receiver, then back into the ejection port, in FRONT of the bolt, which had travelled fully to the rear, exposing an opening in front of it for the brass to enter.

Had to pull the top cover to retrieve that one.

Considered adding buffers to limit the travel so it wouldn't happen again, but never got around to it. Only happened that one time.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I would blame the ejector and or extractor. I've had brass shavings stop ejectors in both Colt and BM bolts.

I'm still under the theory the the (X) in XM193 is due to soft brass.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen it happen, and it could be a real bitch when it is sandwiched up against the gas tube.  Pulling the bolt back may not clear it, even after repeated tries.  We were taught to lock the bolt open, and use the hook end of an open handcuff through the ejection port and pull/slide the shell back far enough to fall off the end of the gas tube.   Then continue with normal clearance drills.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done that with my TP.22 but never with my AR .
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I can beat that. When I was in boot camp, during the Crucible, my rifle jammed during the field fire stage. I tried to do immediate action, only to find that the charging handle would only go back about an inch. Upon closer inspection, I saw the tip of a bullet sticking out above the bolt. Somehow, while the bolt was back, the round made it out of the magazine and into the well for the charging handle. Then the bolt closed. It took 3 armorers using a screwdriver and a hammer five minutes to get the bolt open and the round out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Yer speshul, wave.  

Tell us the truth: you were pulling some matrix one-handed cartwheel stuff and limp wristed it, didn't you?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey Wave, was this the side cocking upper you were going to get?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
After hearing that, I'm wondering what ammo/brass you were using? Must have been some soft junk?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yup, that's the one.  The problem was the non concentric ejector hold on the bolt that came with it.  He's gotta send that POS back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Whenever there's a non-apparent malfunction, I review the 8 cycles of function.  After going through the list - I always find the hang-up.

1. Feeding
2. Chambering
3. Locking
4. Firing
5. Unlocking
6. Extracting
7. Ejecting
8. Cocking

Its worked for me for 16 years.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I have seen this, but it was due to bad ammo.

About ten yeas ago, I was soooo excited to pick up a case surplused out by the Canadian government at an incredibly cheap price.  It didn't occur to me at the time to ask WHY they surplused it out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, that's the one.  The problem was the non concentric ejector hold on the bolt that came with it.  He's gotta send that POS back.

Who was the manufacturer of  the side cocking upper?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I had the same thing happen.  But it was due to the three point sling.  I have it riged on the right side of the weapon because I shoot lefty and it bounced off of the sling. I had an acident about 4 months ago and efected my left eye.  They thinks its drain bamage My eye dominace is switching to the right, so I plan o re-train my self as soon as I able.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who was the manufacturer of  the side cocking upper?

I think it was Amtec(spelling?)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top