Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 6:26:10 AM EDT
I recently made a trade with a friend for a Bushmaster AR. I really wanted to make sure the trade was fair to both of us mostly him. I want to keep his friendship.  What do you think?

I gave him, a pristine Mini-14 (original stock) with less than 200 rounds fired, Simmons Red Dot sight, B-Square scope mount, an extra Hogue stock, and six 30 round mags.  2 of which were Ruger manufacture. Plus $100 cash.  The mini was immaculate. No marks on it.

I received a Bushmaster A-3 20" rifle that was less than a year old. I saw it the day he bought it. It had around 500 rounds through it, and it had been laying in the woods for several weeks. He lost it while hunting. It took me about 6 hours to tear it down clean it up, plus change out a few parts (buttplate and pistol grip), but now it looks brand new. There was no rust or corrosion damage from the stint in the woods, (speaks high of Bushmaster) and I got 1/2 moa out of it the other day with Federal ammo. I changed out the pistol grip and buttplate only because no amount of scrubbing would get all the dirt out of the ridges in both pieces.

I really think he just didn't want to mess with the AR anymore.  He has never been much on cleaning his guns.  He was and still is happy with the trade, and he promised to take better care of the mini.  

I did somewhat take a chance on this trade. I really didn't know how much damage had been done to the Bushmaster. But after the cleanup was over, I was glad I did.  And it now has a home where it will be well taken care of.

Fair trade?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]

aimsurplus.com/acatalog/XM15_E2S_20__A3_Heavy_Bbl_Rifle.html

IMHO - Money wise - you did OK

Gunwise - You're WAY ahead  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...it had been laying in the woods for several weeks. He lost it while hunting. ...

[ot]
how the fuck do you loose a rifle ??????????  
/ot]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
What was he smoking while he was hunting to make him "forget" a rifle in the woods.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
How does he do a lot of the things he does.  From what I gather, he and a mutual friend were varmit hunting one evening.  They let dark slip up on them, and he could not find the tree he had propped the rifle up against. They came back a couple of times looking for it and could never find it.  Apparently it fell over and was covered with brush. After a week or two, he finally found it.
He didn't tell me the story, (to ashamed) the friend did.

I know I came out to the good as far as the gun, I just didn't want to do him wrong money wise. I basically gave him all the toys I had for the mini.  I got the dirty Bushmaster and the 10 round mag.

6 hours of cleaning has got to be worth something.....some of the most fun I have ever had
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...it had been laying in the woods for several weeks. He lost it while hunting. ...

[ot]
how the fuck do you loose a rifle ??????????  
/ot]

What?!?! I lost all mine in a canoeing accident.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats a little different than just flat out loosing a rifle in the woods.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

... I lost all mine in a canoeing accident.

Sorry to hear of your loss from an accident!  

accident & negligence are two different things.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top