Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 10:05:10 AM EDT
Shot so many rounds so quickly the barrel got extremely hot.  Apparently it touched the bumper of my SUV, on the plastic part.  Not only did the bumper get damaged, so did my barrel....started melting.  It's only a blemish that one spot, otherwise still shoots fine.  My question is:

1.Will this be safe to shoot long term (i.e. premature wear)?
2.If it is cosmetic only, should I fix it (is it possible) or should I get a new barrel?

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I had something similar happen to me with a M1A. All I did was shoot it again, enough to get the plastic hot. I then sprayed CLP on it and started scrubbing with a hard nylon brush...good as new!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Use it till it dies, hell there is nothing wrong with a little battle damage
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happened to my SAR-1 after laying it down in the back of a truck with a bed liner.  I had shot about 350 rounds bump style and it was smoking so stupid me put it on the bed liner.  Nice amount of plastic on barrel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep,

Did the same thing to mine.  Laid it down on a plastic gun case.....DOH!!  I hate it when that happens.

Keep on shootin'.

Doc

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
There's no need for that kind of high volume shooting!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't sweat it. Next time out to the range, get it good and hot, spray with CLP and scrub off.

No biggie, just adds character!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
There should be no damage to the barrel under the melted plastic (or maybe some slight cosmetics at most). Leave it or remove as others have advised, as you prefer... will be perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Your barrel is not damaged, other have already told you how to clean it up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, thanks guys.  Why didn't I think of that, makes perfect sense.  I'm pretty sure I can get it heated up again.

You guys are great, I was already thinking about getting a shorter barrel or a 1:7 twist, etc.  I'm pretty anal about cosmetics.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Those barrels do get hot, I have blisters on my fingers....  to prove it

I accident touched the barrell on my SSR85B on my last range outing  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill give you 20 dollars for the barrel, it looks like ass you better get another.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ill give you 20 dollars for the barrel, it looks like ass you better get another.

Hehe, maybe to put this in perspective...the barrel is practically new, less than 2000 rds.  I just got a new complete upper from Mod1Sales to replace my last barrel/receiver (which I had many many years) which I really f*cked up using Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
yep just get it warmed up by shooting it and rub it off
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I did the same thing except instead of plastic, it was flesh from my hand!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I did the same thing except instead of plastic, it was flesh from my hand!

OUCH
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahhhhhhh so now I know what the meaning of,

More thrust per sqeeze is.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly I thought my barrel was permanently ruined cosmetically, upon closer inspection it does appear to be rather superficial.  Can't say the same for the bumper of the rental car.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Ahhhhhhhhhh  Its just getting broken in

You want HOT !! , try to adjust the gas sleeve on an FAL after a few hundred
rapid fire rounds . It leaves a really interesting pattern on your finger tips
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a rental?  I can't wait to read the report on your explaination!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It's a rental?  I can't wait to read the report on your explaination!

They saw it, they took a report.  Basically it was reported as unknown damage, doesn't matter because I had the optional insurance.

Always take out THEIR insurance when you only going to rent an SUV (Jeep Cherokee Trail-Rated) for a few days AND you know you're going to be doing some heavy duty four-wheeling off-road in the mountains in Colorado.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to the melted something with my hot barrel club.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got back from the range bout 2 hours ago and I'm giggling as I read this thread.

I put about 100 rounds down range rather quickly (not bumping, aimed shots, pre-loaded mags).

I put Greta down so I could reload mags and a bumblebee landed on the barrel and sizzled something and ended up falling onto the shootin bench and couldn't fly... just rolled around the table trying to get some air... no luck.

I giggled at its misery and shoved it onto the ground.

That's my hot barrel story of the day.

What gets me is doesn't a bug, err bee to be more specific, have SOME kind of sensory system that says "Don't land here!   Hot!".    Greta's barrel doesn't exactly look like a flower either.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hehe
*friend's rear bumper trim, S-10 Blazer.  Sshhh!*
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I did a simillar thing with my M4a1, except it was the sling that melted to the bbl pretty good... it comes off, no problemo
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We should have our own forum! LOL!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Musta been one of them bees that rides the short bus.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hehe, maybe to put this in perspective...the barrel is practically new, less than 2000 rds.  I just got a new complete upper from Mod1Sales to replace my last barrel/receiver (which I had many many years) which I really f*cked up using Wolf ammo.

??? huh what?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#29]
From the pic, it looks like your bbl's developed terminal cancer....
[Ahhnold]It's not a TUMOR![/Ahhnold]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I melted my hand a little, trying to drag a 240G onto the roof of a building.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#31]
One time in the Army, my squad was providing OpFor for our sister unit's (299th Engr.'s) squad lanes. We were bored after sitting around for a week, so I took the blank adaptor off my A2 and was blasting this trail of ants marching right thru the middle of our tent.
Sgt. Henderson got pissed at me and said "You like firing your weapon? Then fire off these two cases of left-over blanks so we don't have to go thru the paperwork of turning them back in."
By the time I was done, the front of my foregrips were all deformed and the armorer had to replace them.

-J
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

2.If it is cosmetic only, should I fix it (is it possible) or should I get a new barrel?

The barrel is junk. Remove it and send it to me
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should have our own forum! LOL!!

+1 .

P.S. Don't use 0000 steel wool to get it off .
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
There's no need for that kind of high volume shooting!

The hundred and fifty dead VietCong downrange would disagree with you Markm!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top