Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 4:27:37 AM EDT
Hi, I am a new member and a newbie to AR's. I just purchased an un-fired pre-ban SP1 from a friend real cheap. I wanted to make a coyote rifle out of it, but don't know what to do.  Since it is an A1 upper, and never fired, some say keep it for collection or sell / trade it for a later generation I can hunt coyotes with already set up.  Do I try and get something else or just use this one?  I'm not sure how to post a pick of it, but will try---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/tucmoto33/IM000174.jpg
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
sell it to me for $100.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll give you $200
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
$300

Did I win?

Seriously, leave it alone. Too many old school ones end up being some SF wanna be pimped out POS looking thing. That rifle you pictured is my dream, to get an original SP1. If you are interested in selling it, lemme know. But I would either hang on to it, shoot it as is, or sell it and get something you will shoot all the time. But I wouldnt change a thing on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a gun.

I'd shoot shoot with the gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It has a 12 twist barrel and will shoot the lighter varmint bullets. If you want to shoot with optics, this is not the best platform. A scope mounted to this may not yeild good results for varminting. You have an awsome nice AR. Keep it at any cost. If it doesnot work out for varminting, Get another upper. Post ban stuff will be attractively priced soon and you will not need a bayonet lug to get critters.   Good luck and enjoy that fine rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
$300

Did I win?

Seriously, leave it alone. Too many old school ones end up being some SF wanna be pimped out POS looking thing. That rifle you pictured is my dream, to get an original SP1. If you are interested in selling it, lemme know. But I would either hang on to it, shoot it as is, or sell it and get something you will shoot all the time. But I wouldnt change a thing on it.

Yeah I do think an unmolested SP-1 will be worth a bit more then the typical AR15 to some people as most of the other SP-1s have been turned into carbines during the ban
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]
How much do ya'll think its worth? The SR# is 5 digit - maybe a 1979 model or so?
Remember it is brand new and unfired. I'm feeling guilty now, and I paid what the guy was asking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much do ya'll think its worth? The SR# is 5 digit - maybe a 1979 model or so?
Remember it is brand new and unfired. I'm feeling guilty now, and I paid what the guy was asking.

Hard to say as in the next 3 months I think the market will be unpredicatable. If there is a Kerry win there may be more demand for AR15s, Bush win maybe a bit less. Plus you will have whatever happens to the market after the ban expires. If I would have to make a guess .... $700-900
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Tuc, welcome over from PM.

Honestly, if you're worried about ruining a collectors item, don't be. You can hunt predators with it right now if you'd like. Now if you want to turn it into a easy handling short range predator machine, just get a new upper for it. I'd go for a 16" barrel preferably with a 1:8 twist so you can run reloads from the 30's to the 70's. I'd definatly make the new one a flattop w/ a picatinny gas block, it's much more versatile.

Something like that will have you dropping predators from point blank to 300+ with no problems. (besides aiming) I'm of the opinion that a hunting rifle is a work tool, it's going to get used and used hard. If you just use the lower, you'll minimize the wear on your collectors item, but you won't alleviate it. If you really want to protect it, become a true ARFCOM'er and just build a few more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hi, I am a new member and a newbie to AR's. I just purchased an un-fired pre-ban SP1 from a friend real cheap. I wanted to make a coyote rifle out of it, but don't know what to do.  Since it is an A1 upper, and never fired, some say keep it for collection or sell / trade it for a later generation I can hunt coyotes with already set up.  Do I try and get something else or just use this one?  I'm not sure how to post a pick of it, but will try---

img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/tucmoto33/IM000174.jpg

The Colt SP-1 will always be valued as the first AR-15, it will always be a part of firearm history.
IMO, keep it as is or if you decide to update it, keep all the original parts.

Hey its a Colt with no stupid sear block in the lower.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't think I've ever seen an SP1 at a gun show.  I'd actually like to find one sometime,
what do they go for?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#12]
What may affect my decision is whether or not it will be useful hunting if I put a scope on top, will it be too high to shoot w/o raising my cheek off the gun?  If this is a poor set-up, I will just buy a post ban flat top and keep this one in the closet until someone wants to buy it. It's not like I have too much invested in it not to hunt w/ it.  Besides, I'm starting to get the AR fever.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't think I've ever seen an SP1 at a gun show.  I'd actually like to find one sometime,
what do they go for?

You won't see many at the local gunshows here in WA.

I paid $950 for my SP1 approx 2 yrs ago  ( good price then )

Current pricing is approx  $1100 NIB  /  $700-900 used.

It's a fantastic firearm - will always be semi collectable as ' the 1st AR15 ' and is a nice piece of history to own if you can pick one up.

Trigger pins are mil spec & there is no annoying sear block so those looking for quick conversion hosts for their RDIAS know their value from that standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to shoot it as it, you could use a "Delta" style cheek piece to raise your head up high enough to use the scope. Another option it to get a flat top upper, scope it, and then switch it out when you go hunting.

I have an old SP-1, CAR-15, and I picked up an Post ban HBAR upper for it to use for "Scoped" work. My lower receiver has the collapsible stock, so I added a cheek piece that snaps over the stock and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe someone has a spare RDIAS laying around and will want a good platform to drop it in. LOL!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
$300

Did I win?

Me for $301.50
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I also think the 1st AR will retain additional value. I have a Colt Govt. Carbine 6520 Green Box that I wouldn't sell cheap. It is marked AR-15 with M4 feed ramps and I'll keep it. It is worth the same as any new post-post-ban rifle, IMHO.

Bill

Edited to add, my brother-in-law bought a NIB (as in NEVER shot with all the little strings and tags still on it)  SP-1 3 years ago for $900, I think that is still a good price.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top