Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 11:13:40 PM EDT
Newbie wanting to get into shooting a lot more. Currently deployed to Iraq (U.S.Army MP), when I get back I would like to get into serive rifle shooting and to Camp Perry someday. What is the common setup and cost? Do you have to reload? Any and all information you can shed on this would be helpful. Thanks again.
AW
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Check this thread in the Competition forum...

So you wanna shoot CMP....

To get just started you really don't need any special equipment.  The low-cost "Blue Box" match ammo from Black Hills works just fine for newbies.

Once you're hooked however, your pocket book will never be the same.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot IPSC for many years but a few years back I bought a M1A (M14 clone) and started shooting CMP. I loved it but later bought an AR for service rifle though I keep my M1A. I bought an upper from Compass Lake with a Kreiger Barrel and picked a lower at a gun show and put a Jewell Trigger (made in TX) in it. I found this to about a $150 more than buying a factory CMP setup like Bushmaster or Amalite. In fact I went to a few gun shows looking for a decent deal on a complete factory CMP rifle but everyone pretty much wanted sticker price, for "that" money it was about even and I had a custom rifle built. When I got into CMP, we had just sold our house and moved so all of my reloading was in a mini storage. I bough the blue box 68grs from Black Hills. With it my rifle and my 50yo eyes I can hold 3/4" @ 100 yards with the NM sights, I am happy. BTW the factory guns are great, I decided I'd just as soon have a custom rifle for a few dollars more.

Good Luck and get home safely
Another Bill

Edited to add, the service rifle set up is usually a free float forearm, 1/2 or 1/4" NM sights, a match barrel, a NM trigger and a good sling. Other things will be a matt, a jacket, gloves, timmer, spotting scope with stand and so on. I am sume the link taht FishKepr posted will have more if not better info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
While we're on this subject, I'd like to know why so many associate highpower rifle matches with the CMP exclusively?

One can only compete in FOUR CMP sanctioned Excellence in Competition matches a year, and one of those four has to be at Camp Perry.  If you don't go to Perry, you get to shoot at THREE CMP matches in a year.  That doesn't include the odd CMP Garand match here or there.

On the other hand, there are NRA sanctioned highpower rifle matches (with classes for both service and match rifles) in hundreds on clubs virtually every weekend of the year.  You can attend as many of those as you want.

Also, the CMP does not classify shooters.  There are no classes of shooters.  Only the NRA classifes shooters, and when someone talks of being classifed Expert, Master, High Master, etc, they achieved them by shooting NRA sanctioned high power rifle matches.

I wanted to clear that up for the newbies, lest they leave here not knowing who is it that sponsors the greatest majority of high power rifle matches in the US.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Edited to add, the service rifle set up is usually a free float forearm, 1/2 or 1/4" NM sights, a match barrel, a NM trigger and a good sling. Other things will be a matt, a jacket, gloves, timmer, spotting scope with stand and so on. I am sume the link taht FishKepr posted will have more if not better info.

The upper has to be an A2 or A4 upper with a 20" barrel.  If you use an A4 upper, you must use an A2 style detachable carrying handle/sight.

Anyone who is competitive uses an A2 upper with the modes described by AnotherBill.  I recommend you go that way too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Good points, Camp Perry is way down the road for me. I would like to shoot more when I get home, just for enjoyed and the very long term goal is the presidents hundred. Yeah I know, but heck I can dream, lol.
Being an longtime NRA I am sure when I get back they can point me in the right direction for local matches. (Texas). Thanks again for any and all information.
AW
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would like to shoot more when I get home, just for enjoyed and the very long term goal is the presidents hundred. Yeah I know, but heck I can dream, lol.

Someone has to make the Hundred, it might as well be you.  And while you're at it, the Distinguished Rifleman badge is a pretty nice trinket too.  They're both very obtainable goals if you're dedicated to achieving them...

http://users.adelphia.net/~spitzegc/images/badges.JPG
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Being an longtime NRA I am sure when I get back they can point me in the right direction for local matches. (Texas). Thanks again for any and all information.
AW

Texas State Rifle Association
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top