Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 3:18:00 PM EDT
I just shot my RRA 16" carbine for the first time, and I noticed an odd vibration that seems to go thru the gun when fired. I can best describe it as like when you kick a spring-type doorstop. Is this common?

-J
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
very common, you will grow to love it its the buffer spring; after a while you wont even notice it
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
sproing....the sound of a happy AR!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Lube up the buffer and spring with a little Tetra grease or another type of light grease and it will help quiet down the "springy" noise a little.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Your first AR?

Most of the M16s I have shot and quite a few or the ARs as well make the Sproing noise. It is normal. Don't do anything. If you lube the buffer up too much it will attract grit, which can cause faster wear. After a while you will not even notice it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats the sound of freedom ringing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I noticed the same thing last week while out shooting my RRA.... Got used to it, and dont notice anymore, till I read this Thread....You grow to enjoy it...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your first AR?

My first privately-owned AR, but I don't remember the M-16A2 I carried in the Army doing this.

-J
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
 She likes it when you pull the trigger.

She's just telling you that.

MadMan
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not just an RRA thing. Any AR type rifle with a standard type spring and buffer will "sproing".
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thats the sound of freedom ringing.

Classic line!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, just like the 8th round 'Paaating!' from a Garand, the 'Sprooooing!' of the AR makes me very, very, happy!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your first AR?

My first privately-owned AR, but I don't remember the M-16A2 I carried in the Army doing this.

-J

What kind of buttstock do you have?  While I did notice the spoing in the M16A1 and M16A2's that I've fired, it was not as pronounced as the sproing in my M4 buttstock on my RRA carbine.  Primarily because there is no foam insulation around the buffer tube to quite the noise.

Not to mention that when you were firing your issue M16A2 I'm sure you were concentrating on the range NCOIC, target acquistion, and all the firing going on around you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't you mean "good vibrations?"
BROINK! If only I could capture that sound as a wav file. "You've got mail, BROINK!"

I'm blaming the sinus medication or the terretts for my recent behavior..
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#14]
That "sproing" sound is a built in empty mag auditory notification.  If you fire a round, and just feel the recoil with no "sproing", it's time to reload.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]

What kind of buttstock do you have?  While I did notice the spoing in the M16A1 and M16A2's that I've fired, it was not as pronounced as the sproing in my M4 buttstock on my RRA carbine.  Primarily because there is no foam insulation around the buffer tube to quite the noise.

It's just a regular AR-15 stock. I have a CAR telescoping stock waiting to go on after the AWB. I wonder if that'll make it louder.-J
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember the first time I shot an M16A2 in Boot Camp... After hearing that noise I thought it was going to fall apart on me... Now I dont even notice it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top