Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 3:16:03 PM EDT
I have a Bushy M4 Style AR with Comp Y Muzzle break on 16 in barrel.  I want to purchase and install a flash hider long enough to meet minimum barrel lenghth after cutting the muzzle break.  Would a Phantom FS be long enough and would i need a peel or crush washer with this?  I know a weld will be required also...what is best most professional way to accomplish?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
why would you need to weld it?
I think the y comps just have a blind pin in them that you can drill out, remove the brake then install the Phantom with a crush washer.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think the y comps just have a blind pin in them that you can drill out, remove the brake then install the Phantom with a crush washer.

Welding to to create a barrel that is a minimum of 16 inches in length.  If he cuts the barrel down below 16 the muzzle device must be permanently attached so as not be be a SBR.   Welding is the quickest and easiest way to make it permanent.

Yes,  a phantom on a 14.5 inch barrel will make it 16.   Although I will leave mine a bit longer just to make sure (14.75).

Sarge
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

At a minimum a Phantom needs to be pinned in place and welded over the pin.  Silver solder with a melting point of over 1100F will work also.  Bushy M4 barrels with the Mini Y comp are actually 14.5" barrels with the permanently attached Mini Y.  Therefore, any other muzzle device has to be permanently attached to make the total barrel length over 16".
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At a minimum a Phantom needs to be pinned in place and welded over the pin.  Silver solder with a melting point of over 1100F will work also.  Bushy M4 barrels with the Mini Y comp are actually 14.5" barrels with the permanently attached Mini Y.  Therefore, any other muzzle device has to be permanently attached to make the total barrel length over 16".

gotcha.
didn't see the part where the bbl was only 14.5"

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top