Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 12:44:04 PM EDT
OK, I've got a Pre-A1-style AR built up, but I am putting the finishing touches on it.  This is what I have left to do, and am wanting input on anything I have forgotten.  I want this to be as real as possible, but I know, for example, a real 1:14 barrel is nearly impossible to get, so I'm not concerned about it.

What I have left to do:

Triangle Charging Handle
Duck-Bill Flash Suppressor
Mill mag-release fence and front pivot "ears" on lower to pre-a1 specs
Refinish in Dark Colt Gray to match upper
Drill the hole in the middle of the safety selector and takedown pin. (how hard is this?)

I already have:

non-trapdoor buttstock
A1 PG
Colt Pre-A1 upper with no F/A, and a "C MP C" 1:12 barrel, straight slip-ring, A1 ejection port cover, early-style Bakelite Triangle handguards (as opposed to the later injection-molded triangle handguards), and "regular" three-prong suppressor.
Chrome bolt and unnotched chrome carrier.

Things I won't be able to do (but would like to do):

1:14 non-chrome barrel
pin the buffer tube
true slabside lower with non-captured front pivot pin

(Are any of these possible?)

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Triangle Charging Handle

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Triangle Charging Handle

he probably meant 3 prong flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Triangle Charging Handle

hr

Original-style "Triangle" charging handle:

http://home.comcast.net/~luthier4/images/thumbnails/charginghandle.jpg

Original-style "Duckbill" F/S:

http://home.comcast.net/~luthier4/images/thumbnails/threeprong.jpg

I am going to order these in the next few days.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You forgot to post a pic!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Triangle Charging Handle

hr

he probably meant 3 prong flash suppressor.

THe duck-bill has a different profile than the standard 3-prong.  The switch was made as the "regular" 3-prong was easier to mill.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Pics coming tonight.

I need to find a hosting service.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not so sure that the duckbill FS appeared on the M16 as accepted by the military. I recollect seeing them on the early AR15's before they were given the M16 designation.

I think that the three prong FS was standard on the early issue M16, superceeded by the A1 FS with the advent of the M16A1.

I'm going strictly by memory here. Perhaps anopther member has access to the necessary research materials.

A center drill should be able to drill the selector and pivot holes. Carbide if necessary. I'm not so sure about milling the magazine release fence off your lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

WTF?

Mandatory isnt it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm not so sure that the duckbill FS appeared on the M16 as accepted by the military. I recollect seeing them on the early AR15's before they were given the M16 designation.

I am actually going more for the "prototype" pre-a1, hence the early parts.  So many people want the latest gazillion-railed, 25-pounds-of-accessories, flat-top, optic-and-laser-and-light-and-cuisinart-equipped SPR, I just want to go 180 degrees in the other direction, right back to before 1963.

A center drill should be able to drill the selector and pivot holes. Carbide if necessary. I'm not so sure about milling the magazine release fence off your lower.

I'll have to find someone with one, and with the skills to use it.  Can't cost that much.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You are trying to build a Colt Model 601.  This is both pre M16A1 and pre M16.  You can find a 1/14 twist barrel if you look hard enough.  I saw one for sale on sturmgewehr.com about a month ago.

Your C MP C 1/12 barrel should be replaced with a non-chrome 1/12 if you want to get closer and not able to find a 1/14.

You should be able to find an original Air force upper where the front pin hole is countersunk for a 601 pivot pin.

You should send you lower to WA Tom at Total Silence to have the buffer tube pinned.

FYI: The standards for an original M16 include:

non chrome 1/12 twist barrel.  Stamped "12" and "MP".
3 prong FH, not duckbill
ridge on lower for front pivot pin detent
slick side upper
no fence around mag release
early stock with no door

Scott

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You are trying to build a Colt Model 601.  This is both pre M16A1 and pre M16.  You can find a 1/14 twist barrel if you look hard enough.  I saw one for sale on sturmgewehr.com about a month ago.

Your C MP C 1/12 barrel should be replaced with a non-chrome 1/12 if you want to get closer and not able to find a 1/14.

I'll have to keep looking.  The current upper I have is an Air Force upper, but it's a later one.  I'm pretty happy with it right now, but changing the barrel is not something that is high priority right now, but I will check the ads around the net in case I get lucky.

You should be able to find an original Air force upper where the front pin hole is countersunk for a 601 pivot pin.

What's the difference in the front pin hole?  I've seen and handled a prototype lower with the ball-detent pivot pin, but not enough to REALLY examine it.  Even if I found the upper, where would I find that pin?

You should send you lower to WA Tom at Total Silence to have the buffer tube pinned.

I e-mailed him about lower milling services, and even asked about pinning the buffer, but he never answered about the buffer.

Thanks for answering my questions, but now you've given me more questions and possibly more holes to sink money into.  DAMN YOU!!!!*hat
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top