Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 2:11:04 AM EDT
So I was checking out some photo's of the RRA DEA carbine. I noticed that the bbl is an HBAR 14.5 with a perm attached A2 with out a Bayo lug? Why is this.? Why not a M4 profile...to save weight? Why the lack or bayo lug? And how come a perm-attach? No need for a sound suppressor? Anyone have some insight on this? Oh and does anyone know if I can buy the said bbl? Personally I think the gun looks sexy and was thinking of a making my own no-ban copy. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you know if it is 4140 or 4150 Steel?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, 4150 is better, that is the difference.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Twisted,

I hear that argument all the time on these boards, but it isn't like a regular human being is going to notice the difference, is it?  I thought if you weren't running thousands of rounds of full auto, there was no apprciable difference.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This isnt a rifle they will be carrying through the jungle all day, so weight isnt an issue

He He

They will change there minds when they have to carry the rifle all day on a bust, or while attending training.  Not all their officers are 6'4" and pump iron on the beach...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I did some quick looking and every where Ihave looked the bbl is 14.5 and has a perattched A2. So then...again, why bother....and so what if they dont do drive by bayoneting....nor do I but my guns have the lugs...I'm saying the worlds firearms need to be like mine, however why have something like that ommitted when they that comes standard o the sight block? And again, does anyone know if RRA will make this bbl available to the public? Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its that much better that you can notice a difference?  Call a tool and die/machine shop and ask them what the difference is - almost nothing.

The "need" 4150, and the "need" for 1:7 is entertaining

It's called stacking the odd's in your favor for the tasks you want to accomplish with your carbine/rifle.

Let's not forget he anti's wonder why we even "need" an AR.  

Just by looking all the pics of the great carbines and rifles on this site and knowing the endless choices of accessories you can see that most of the people here are not restrained to getting only what they "need".  It's one of the greatest things about the AR/M16 series is that you can truly have it your way.

I seriously don't think it should be an issue if someone want's a 4150, 1/7 barrel with extended "M4" feedramps.  

I'm not trying to be a smartass but you make it sound like it's ridiculous, bad or excessive for a customer to ask for a barrel with these specs.  Other than the small difference in price, if any(shopping helps), could you tell us how having a 4150, 1/7 barrel with extended feedramps is a bad thing?  

I know I'm a picky bastard but I also know I'm not alone in wanting those specs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I do think its ridiculous, just like a big ass spoiler on the back of a honda civic. To each his own. This is why I carry LMT - some people want it, and I'll sell it to them. Its not a bad thing, but I really think its silly when people replace their perfectly good 4140, 1:9 barrel and rifle barrel extension, with a 4150, 1:7, with M4 barrel extension.  I also get a good chuckle every time they feel the need to justify the upgrade....
I get a few emails a week from people asking about upgrading, and want my opinion. I would love to sell them a new LMT upper, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Do you really have a false sense of security that you feel you are stacking the odds in your favor? There are a million other things you can do to "stack the odds in your favor".
When ElQueda to comes parachuting in, and I propel a .55gr projectile from a 1:9, 4140 steel barrel, fed through a rifle barrel extension, into a vital organ - they will be just as dead as if they were hit with a 77gr from 1:7 4150.

Steve,

I don't recall telling everyone to dump their rifles or carbines because they don't have those items.  I also don't think anyone else who wants those things things is saying that either.

It also has nothing to do with insecurity.  Besides, I already have a 4150, 1/7 barrel with extended feedramps, what do I need to feel insecure about?  That's just like when the anti's say we're paranoid because we own firearms.

It's about setting up my carbine for what I want to do with it.   I chose the 1/7 twist because I wanted a twist was "PROVEN" to work 100% with the heavier bullets.  It's been proven that a 1/9 that will not always work with the heavier ammo.  I know from personal exprience because my 1/9 upper would not accurately shoot the 77 gr Black Hills ammo.   I don't reload and I wouldn't wan't to waste my time trying dope a round that will work for it. This is I why I went with a 1/7 when I purchased a new upper.  

I've also personally seen how the extended feedramps have helped with mags in different conditions.  In my case my upper that has the extended feedramps is less sensitive to magazine condition then my upper without the feed ramps.  I also know others have mentioned that the feed ramps have made feeding more reliable with different bullet types.  These reasons have led me to believe that the extended feedramps are "good thing" to have and they certainly don't detract from anything.

As for the 4150 steel, it was already part of the package and I believe Troy has already mentioned reasons why the 4150 would be a "good thing" to have.  Still, 4150 is a better grade of steel than 4140 regardless of whether the differences are obvious to everyone or not.

Seriously, as I mentioned before on another thread the only justification anyone living in free country needs is because I want it!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Bigbore:

I'm dismayed by your attitude towards potential customers .  You say "To each his own" and then trash the opposing point of view.

Maybe the customer has done their own research and doesn't like the solution you have arrived at?

I'll gladly stand beside you during the AlQueda invasion, to defend your right to free speech.  Maybe we won't care about the details of our gear, as long as we cover our sectors.  But I'll feel way more confident with my gear because of my decisions.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Are the RRA DEA Carbines full auto??
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
The people who have done their research aren't going to be asking him what they should buy....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Stickman: +1, Blikbok: 0.  ;)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are the RRA DEA Carbines full auto??

When speaking with RRA at the shot show this year (the DEA rifle was on display), I asked a similar question.
RRA is not currently making a select fire rifle - (the DEA is semi)
but - they were looking to get a ClassIII for the future.

thats pretty stupid on the DEA's part because all the drug dealers dont use semi guns.  There gonna be outgunned
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats pretty stupid on the DEA's part because all the drug dealers dont use semi guns.  There gonna be outgunned

I, for one, am very happy that the DEA (which is an illegitimate agency, but that's another story) isn't getting automatic rifles.

They have to account for every projectile fired
, and FA is just asking for trouble.

Aimed fire is better anyway.

that is very true, and that is the very reason a lot of police dept's dont like FA
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#25]
hehe... this topic got all sorts out of wack....

i'm happy with my 4140 1/9 chromelined barrel w/o m4 cuts  not'a jam yet!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I, for one, am very happy that the DEA (which is an illegitimate agency, but that's another story) isn't getting automatic rifles.

They have to account for every projectile fired, and FA is just asking for trouble.

Aimed fire is better anyway.

Obviously you've never heard of the out of country interdiction they do, along with the firefights with guerrillas they occasionaly do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I am betting that this is some quick thinking on the part of RRA sales dept.

Dump pre ban barrels in a gov't contract.

If the bayo lug is already ground off, not worth the effort in changing out fsb. (After the ban everyone buying new will want it "just because") This way they don't have to mark them down to sell to the public.
If a permenently attached mb was ever used, the damage would be evident if the operator ever removed the a2 FS that replaced the MB. so they pin the new A2 in place????

Just my guess no source for this at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

They will change there minds when they have to carry the rifle all day on a bust, or while attending training.  Not all their officers are 6'4" and pump iron on the beach...

All my guns are HBAR, it is not that heavy.

What I find funny is they cannot be trusted with full-auto guns.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top