Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 2:29:44 PM EDT
As stated in the title, I currently have a postban Bushmaster M4-type carbine.  I like it a lot, don't get me wrong.  It's a great little rifle.  However, as of late I've been considering switching from the carbine to a full-sized 20" barreled rifle a la the M16A4.  I've always liked the sight picture with irons better on the full-sized rifle better than on the carbine, and the added muzzle velocity couldn't hurt either.

That all said, part of my rationale for coming to this crossroad was that I realized that if something were to go down inside my place of residence, I'd be vastly more likely to grab my pistol.  The pistol's fully loaded underneath my pillow at home, and the rifle is all locked up.  Realistically, I'm most likely not going to use my carbine for home defense against the majority of criminals breaking in or some such thing.

At any rate, once the ban goes away, I could invest in the A2 stock and then either re-barrel the upper reciever or just get a new upper altogether to go the A4gery route.  Either that or pimp out my M4gery with 1/7 twist bbl. & flash suppressor and telestock.  Ballpark estimate, which would cost less?

Does my reasoning sound out farily well?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The reasoning sounds good, but I'd go with the standard answer on AR-15.com: build/buy another rifle!!

The time/work/effort/money you would put into rebarreling an upper and putting on the new stock may equal the ease factor of just putting together another one.

It did for me: I'm not blowing smoke in your arse.  I had an M4gery, and then wanted the 20" version, so I built a J&T kit.  For under $650, I have myself a really nice A3.

Just my two cents...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
just get a 20" upper and keep 16" to, later on invest in another lower.  Thats what i'm doing, only difference is that i got 2 lowers and 1 16"upper
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Your reasoning is sound with me.  I would grab my pistol vs. my rifle and electronic ear muffs.  If I were to use my rifle, it would be for distance shots for fun and games.  It would be hard to defend in a court of law "imment danger" from another person standing 100 yds away from me.

Though I have to comment that you should keep your pistol in another location other than under your pillow.  Such as in a holster mounted on the side of your night stand or bed.  That way is stays there no matter what and you will always know where it is.  As opposed to somewhere under your pillow orientated in some direction, between the mattress and backboard, or even the floor.

To answer your inquiry for opinions, I say buy a whole new upper (or whole rifle) exactly the way you want it.  Treat it like you're going back in time with the knowledge you have now in what you want and/or should've gotten.  Then sell off your exising as a complete unit.  Getting some parts and then selling off other parts is just not economical in the long run (unless you have multiple builds that you want to have).
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, all.  I think I'll try for a new rifle in light of Edge's and Dragonfly's posts.  I suppose I could work that in, especially if I decided to sell the M4gery.  I'm just somewhat reluctant to do so, as it was my very first rifle that I bought myself.

I'll look into an alternative storeage method for the pistol, by the way.  I've just not yet run into a problem with the weapon moving around at all.  Not sayin' it can't happen, mind you.  Just that it hasn't yet.

EDIT:

Aimless, I agree that the AR is a vastly more potent weapon at any range than a pistol, but the best gun to have in a gunfight is the one you have with you.  I keep my rifle locked up most of the time, and I keep the pistol relatively close, as I also use it as my CCW piece.  Point is, it'd be available whereas the AR15 would not.

Thanks for the input, though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Your tactical jammies....right?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to trade barrels, I have a 20" HBAR that has 200 round through it bayo lug and A1 hider.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want to trade barrels, I have a 20" HBAR that has 200 round through it bayo lug and A1 hider.

Thanks for the offer, but I really do want a Gov't. profile 1/7 w/A2 birdcage flash suppressor.  As Edge & Co. have suggested, I'm thinking that I'll go at it as I would getting my first rifle but with all of the knowledge I have now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
LOVE my AR, but.... The only reason I would grab my pistol in a home emergency would be to lay down cover fire on the way to the SHOTGUN!! Nine rounds of 3" #6 at close range should deal with just about anything that might come up. But just in case, there are 8 more rounds of 00 in the speed loader.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LOVE my AR, but.... The only reason I would grab my pistol in a home emergency would be to lay down cover fire on the way to the SHOTGUN!! Nine rounds of 3" #6 at close range should deal with just about anything that might come up. But just in case, there are 8 more rounds of 00 in the speed loader.

Close to my solution.

WP870 AOW with four 12 ga#6 shotshells loaded in it, and a bandoleer of 10 more next to it. Both can be reached while in bed, but out of sight.

Backed up by a pistol even closer.

Since any problem will be at less than 20 feet, that should be sufficient.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top