Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2004 10:07:28 PM EDT
i noticed that some of my cases have this slight swelling or bulging near the rim. its around 3/16" of an inch from base of shell. The rifle functions perfectly, some are more pronounced than other shells of the same make, some will have very minimal or  no deformities. Headspace had been checked already, and is OK. My barrel is an OLYMPIC arms 16" heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a barrel that did that with with one type of ammunition. I sent the cases and some of the same lot to the manyfactuer of the ammo. They tested it and said the pressure were ok when fired in a barrel with a correct chamber. The best I could figure on mine (if it really was not the ammo like they said) was the throat is too shallow. This could cause elevated pressures with the certain shapes of bullets or depths of bullet seatings. The ammo was UMC and remington said it tested fine no problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
On mine more of the bulge was at the portion past the rim that is really not supported by the chamber. Most of the barrels I have have an angle cut at part of the mouth of the chamber. Mine only did it with one of the ammos I was using.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]
excessive headspace is a possability.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
what ammo are you using ??

i have had several incidents with S&B ammo in new & nearly new rifles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top