Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2004 2:22:01 PM EDT
I know alot of you are modding thier barrels and such.
I have a minni y comp and it;s loud. how much of a difference will it make to have it replaced-if any? Havent had a chance to shoot beside another ar yet.
Is it worth my time or money?
What break would you recomend

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The mini y is horrible!!

KKF makes an attractive A2 look-alike that will make it legal length.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mini-Y is fun on a 7.5" and sitting on M16 lower... makes for nice face wrinkling blast and fire in 4 directions.

Take and open the bore to 5/16",  and set the brake in a mill/drill press, and bore through those directional flaps away at a 90* angle to the bullet bore. Then it will kinda resemblle those old Clark brakes from the early '90s.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Why put on another brake with the ban about to sunset? Your mini y is most likely on a 14.5 inch barrel Bushmaster right? Have KKF or ADCO remove it and replace it with a permanently attached Phantom of your choice. Or a Vortex. That will bring your barrel out beyond the legal minimum.

KKF removed my mini-y in place of the 4 pronged Phantom. His turnaround time was 80 days IIRC.
ADCO may be less time than KKF, i'd call and ask.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why put on another brake with the ban about to sunset? Your mini y is most likely on a 14.5 inch barrel Bushmaster right? Have KKF or ADCO remove it and replace it with a permanently attached Phantom of your choice. Or a Vortex. That will bring your barrel out beyond the legal minimum.

KKF removed my mini-y in place of the 4 pronged Phantom. His turnaround time was 80 days IIRC.
ADCO may be less time than KKF, i'd call and ask.

HS1

Why so long? I inquired with ADCO and said they could do it in under a week! Maybe they get backed up closer to the sunset...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok vortex or phantom.

they are flash surpressures?
sorry still learning.

how much does this cost?

Yeah I know the ban ending I have a O.D.G stock set collapsible from RRA to match my XD and shot gun. Gunna make a trio!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
My mini-Y is getting a vortex after the ban. G & R tatical has them for $50 shipped.
Bushmaster will install your phantom if you buy it from them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
look here for a do it your self www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=199258

I am going to do it if this AWB sunsets. and pin a phantom on to bring it back up to 16" legality.  I also have a Levang compensator that I want to try for kicks as well.

I have a Mini Y-comp and it sucks.  It does exactly what it's supposed to do in reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise, but it blows all that stuff back at you.  My buddies hate it when we do CQB stuff and I blast them with flaming death.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My mini-Y is getting a vortex after the ban. G & R tatical has them for $50 shipped.

If I buy a phantom from bushy, and send them my bbl, they'll remove the old brake and replace it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I buy a phantom from bushy, and send them my bbl, they'll remove the old brake and replace it?

I just called bushmaster and they said no. It would screw up their whole production line is what they told me. You'll have to buy the brake and take it to a gunn smith for removal and install.
From what I gather though is if you order a new rifle they will install what ever brake you want ya just have to pay extra.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
That's what I thought. Bushy doesn't do custom gun work. IIRC if you order all of the parts from them, they'll assemble it for you at no charge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
get a flashider; muzzle breaks are not as beneficial, expecially in a 5.56 AR
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top