Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2004 12:47:21 PM EDT
I have a Bushy ultra light with a bare muzzle.  Is this barrel profile too thin to be threaded for a flash hider?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry, but i also would like to know. thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it has some sort of fs on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel from sight block on is .570" flash suppresor thraeds are .500" or 1/2 inch 28 TPI.  So it is perfectly feasable.  I have a preban 16 inch super light that is threaded just like the pic. above as well as a post ban that will be cut down and threaded for a perm. atttached FH in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
^^^^
Edit: Well there you go, shows what I know.

I believe if your superlight is a postban then you won't be able to put a FH on it because to much material has been removed.

You can verify this by asking bushmaster.  

Preban superlights are flared abit at the end to accomidate the threads.

Edit again: This is what a remember reading, from Bushmaster's website.

Note: Post-Ban version will not accept currently manufactured muzzle brakes.

I guess this doesn't apply to threading and adding a FH.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally posted by ridge

^^^^
Edit: Well there you go, shows what I know.

I believe if your superlight is a postban then you won't be able to put a FH on it because to much material has been removed.

You can verify this by asking bushmaster.

Preban superlights are flared abit at the end to accomidate the threads.

I have both and there is a slight (very slight) flairing taper just before the threads just to give the crush washer a little more room to press against.  But as I stated before there is plenty of matierial and you actually have to turn the end from .570" to .500/.490" to allow the end to be threaded for attachment of muzzle devise.  It is perfectly feasable.  the reason they (bushmaster) wont put on the Y comps ect on the superlight is due to some of thier permanent muzzle devices not being threaded but pressed and pinned on, in such case there would not be enough matierial.  For your case it is a definate go.  I have some pics I will post of a bushy super light cut to 15.1" then threaded and permanent attached A2.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yay!  Thanks for the posts.  I am wanting to do an SBR but I also want to get a regular length upper (haven't decided yet on what profile, etc)  So I am going to have my current upper cut down and then have a FH put on it.  Much cheaper than buying a built SBR upper then another full size later.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same question and what follows is BM reply:

The barrel could be threaded for a flash suppressor but if you look closely at a 16" Superlight pre ban barrel http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/abbl-16sla.asp you will notice there is a slight flare up to a larger diameter at the muzzle so there is a shoulder for the washer to bear against. The post ban barrel measures .570" diameter whereas the pre ban barrel flares up to a .610" diameter. It may be difficult to index a closed bottom flash suppressor like an A2 bird cage so it may limit you to an A1 or Phantom flash suppressor that are not indexed.
           Bushmaster is not set up to do custom piecework on barrels such as threading post ban barrels.
           Thank you,

Hope this helps
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top