Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 6:56:57 AM EDT
Getting ready to order my parts kit and I think I'm going with the 4 aperture BUIS that they sell. Only other option is a single aperture that looks like the LAR 300M sight.   M1S's price for this sight is $85 bucks but the "original" GG&G sells for about $130 from what I've seen. Who is making this sight for M1S, does it lock in the upright postion and would I be better off to order from someone else for my BUIS rather then get either one of the M1S sights?  
 I'm backing out of getting the YHM folding front and going with the standard front sight base to keep the cost down and Keep the build simple.  I'll be using a Trijicon Reflex II for my optics and would like a BUIS that'll co-whitness with this set-up.  What do ya'll recomend, remember I'm on a budget so I can't get any $200 dollar sights, just need something for back up, nothing fancy.  Talk to ya'll in a bit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, heck, don't be shy, someone has to know something.  I still may just do the Removable carry handle deal and put a rail on the bottom handgaurd to store the rail until it's needed.  Plus, it'll give me something to hold onto other then the handgaurd. I KNOW the sights on  the A3 carry handle are sturdy and I know how they work. Of course it'll take time to swap out the Trijicon for the handle but for a "civilian" rifle I really don't see that as much of a problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know for sure, but it seems almost exactly like the ASA BUIS, found here (Brownells) as well.

Can't answer more than that, but if it is an ASA, others may be able to give you more info.  Good luck.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Weren't they having problems with the ASA sights, I thought I remembered reading  something about it?  Brownell's has it for less then M1S, go figure, and Brownell's is normally higher priced then most other places.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have looked at them and thought that they were a little cheap.  Just my opinon.  No personal experience actually using them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have looked at them and thought that they were a little cheap.  Just my opinon.  No personal experience actually using them.

So the removable carry handle would be a better, more sturdy opton?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the removable carry handle would be a better, more sturdy opton?

Probably, but it isn't a flip up if that is what you are going for.  Both the A2 and MAD sights from GG&G are very high quality, good rear flip ups.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Only problem is , I'm on a tight budget. $75-$85 is about all I can afford for my BUIS set-up.  DPMS does make a folding rear for about $70 that works good but it doesn't have the "look" of a MAD BUIS. Yep, carry handle may be my only option at this point.  I can always pick up a different sight at a later date when  I've saved up  some.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Very poorly made Chinese knock-offs.  I hade to return both of mine to ASA.  Try gunbroker for GG&G sights, usually a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#9]
You can pick up and ARMS FUBUIS for under $100...surely you can afford another $10~15....

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can pick up and ARMS FUBUIS for under $100...surely you can afford another $10~15....

I don't really know if I like that sight or not.  I think I'l go with a Removable carry handle and attatch it to the underside of the forearm where it'll be handy and also act as a grip. Plus, I kind of like the look when it's attached like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If you plan on buying a detachable carry handle sight, I would order from someplace other than Model 1.  I ordered one of their carry handle along with my 16" CAR kit.  Love the rifle, hate the sight.  It looks cheap.  The elevation knob is not marked in yards and doesn't have the quality feel as a fixed carry handle sight when you turn the knob.  Plus I don't care for the "national match" aperture they use.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you plan on buying a detachable carry handle sight, I would order from someplace other than Model 1.  I ordered one of their carry handle along with my 16" CAR kit.  Love the rifle, hate the sight.  It looks cheap.  The elevation knob is not marked in yards and doesn't have the quality feel as a fixed carry handle sight when you turn the knob.  Plus I don't care for the "national match" aperture they use.  

Not marked would be a good thing in my case. I'm using a Non-standard ctg. so the yards marks won't corespond to the trajectory of the round anyway.  I'll have to figure out my "come ups" to get on target.  The last two kits that I got from M1S were both fixed A2's, in both cases the knob was marked and felt good, guess they're using a different vendor for the Carry Handles.  

P.S.
Looks like an ASA carry handle, that may explain the "poor" quality.  I may have to order a carry handle from some place else, any suggestions, some place with a good price.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Armalite makes a nice looking carry handle for $97 bucks. I may go with one of those. Is there any retailers that'd have em' for less, I know sometimes retailers can sell for less then the manufactures.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
ShadowOne nailed it. The ASA is a blatant ripoff of the GG&G MAD, made in China. Horrible quality rendering it useless.

Your irons, theoretically, are a back up system that one day may be called upon to save you.
Sure you wanna scrimp?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
See the above post, Armalite Carry Handle, looks like a quality product at a decent price. Only $22 bucks more then the M1S carry handle and I like the style of it better too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I would never buy anything from ASA...I have seen their wares firsthand....there are much better AR parts suppliers out there....quality is always worth the money GG&G is top notch quality...ASA is not. Pure and simple. As for the $45 difference, I look at it this way...it's cheap $45 insurance policy to know you're getting a top shelf product vs. a $45 savings GAMBLE that you'll get something worth that might not even be worth the $45 difference.

...but I do like the ASA girl's accent...but that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
SO WHAT ABOUT THE ARMALITE CARRY HANDLE, ARE THEY QUALITY OR JUNK? Sorry for yelling but dang, this is my third post on the subject in this thread,LOL
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]
armalite,bushy, and colt all have good carry handles, so does model 1, it is made well and forged
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
armalite,bushy, and colt all have good carry handles, so does model 1, it is made well and forged

But I was just told that they were junk?  Who's right?  Personally I like the look of the Armalite better but if the M1S handle is good quality I could live with it as well. This will probably be my one and only AR, I  want it to be the best that it can be given my budget.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just thinking,  for  what I'd put into an Armalite carry handle and rail mount I could get a quality folding rear sight. I really don't care for the #40 ARMS sight, what other options are out there. What about the single aperture sight that M1S lists, is that made by ASA also?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]

What about this DPMS unit, is it any count or is it junk?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
If you need a folding BUIS, run an original GG&G MAD or a Troy Industries.

www.troyind.com
www.gggaz.com

Many dealers on EE offer them. Worth your life, and offer more flexibility w/ optics in the future.
You do not have that option w/ a carry handle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What about this DPMS unit, is it any count or is it junk?

I went with this DPMS Mangonel rear sight, and I couldn't be happier. It only has the one large aperture (similar to the 200M patrol/night aperture on the A2 sights), but for a backup sight this really should be adequate. What I really like about it, aside the price, is that it is very simple and robust, and is easy to deploy quickly using only gross motor skills.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
By the way, what caliber have you chosen ? The reason I ask is that I recall your earlier posts regarding .300 Fireball. If you are using a caliber other than .223/5.56 out of a 16-20" barrel, then the graduated sights will probably be of limited benefit to you, as they will not be calibrated for the trajectory of your bullet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
By the way, what caliber have you chosen ? The reason I ask is that I recall your earlier posts regarding .300 Fireball. If you are using a caliber other than .223/5.56 out of a 16-20" barrel, then the graduated sights will probably be of limited benefit to you, as they will not be calibrated for the trajectory of your bullet.

Yep, I'm going .300 Fireball so I can deer hunt with it.  That's one reason why I'm not just going standard A2 upper. I'm thinking the DPMS would be a good way to go but I don't understand what holds the sight down against the support bar when it's in the up position.  Is there a spring or something that holds it against  the bar or what?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#26]
It seems you've already decided against the ASA sight, but I just thought I'd pipe in and reinforce the fact that it is crap.

I had one, and the aperture was not round, it was keyhole shaped.  Took it back, exchanged it, and on the second one the hinge screw was not drilled square, so when the sight went up, it was listing to port.  Or was it starboard?

That's when I learned about their 20% RESTOCKING FEE ON DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE.

Sorry for yelling, I don't know what came over me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It seems you've already decided against the ASA sight, but I just thought I'd pipe in and reinforce the fact that it is crap.

I had one, and the aperture was not round, it was keyhole shaped.  Took it back, exchanged it, and on the second one the hinge screw was not drilled square, so when the sight went up, it was listing to port.  Or was it starboard?

That's when I learned about their 20% RESTOCKING FEE ON DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE.

Sorry for yelling, I don't know what came over me.

Yep, I'm going with the ARMS #40A, seems like a much better sight  and it's only $12 bucks more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#28]

20% RESTOCKING FEE ON DEFECTIVE MERCHANDISE

Please tell me you're joking.  M1S charges that?  Or is it ASA direct?

Some have said ASA is made in China?  Is that true?  M1S's flyers advertise "all parts made in the USA."
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#29]
brownell advertises the asa flip up as made in the usa also personally I went with the dpms unit since it folds lower than the arms
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top