Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 10:14:48 PM EDT
I'm looking at a couple grips right now, with the Battlegrip running first, with the SPR behind it.. Had some questions.

I'm trying to replace my A2 grip, which I'm not too fond of. I guess most of these questions will be relative to the A2, then.

The distance from the trigger to the rear of the grip.. how does it compare to the A2 grip? One of my niggles about the A2 is that I think that distance is waaaay too short, making it hard to do accurate shooting. On the other hand, I think some dedicated target grips extend the distance too far for combat secureness. How does the TD stand up?

Storage space - I know it's made for batteries, but is there potential for storing things like bolt parts or a firing pin? I'm used to keeping a spare bolt, cam pin, firing pin, and fp retaining pin in my A2 grip right now.

Grip texture - I've never felt a TD grip before; is the texture the type that'll stick/bind to gloves and leave a ton of lint behind? I didn't like the Hogue with gloves.

Winter trigger operation - I'm told the TD incorporates a "gapper" type feature. Does this prevent the usage of the winter trigger? Living in Colorado, I often use big gloves while shooting, and need the winter trigger.

One-hand shooting - Some grips become very uncomfortable to use one-handed. The Ergo comes to mind, with its narrow profile. Does this happen with the TD?

I'd appreciate any responses from you guys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The rear distance is about the same as the A2.  

I will try putting a bolt/firing pin inside later to test for you, and take a photo if it works.

The textured version is great!  It is not excessively "sticky" and won't lint up your gloves.  You could probably even wipe it with a wet paper towel and not rip it up.

The built-in duckbill is a plus, but yes it covers your access to removing  the lower trigger guard.  If you are in cold conditions for several months, I guess it wouldn't be a problem to remove the grip and take out the guard twice a year.

The Battlegrip is totally ambidextrous, making it comfortable for weak hand transitions.  No finger grooves in front like the Hogue, which were too far apart for my comfort.  I do wish the Battlegrip was a slight bit thicker; it does feel quite thin in my hand compared to the A2.  

The Sierra SPR grip is more comfortable but not as good for transitions (its a right-handed grip).  I think the new Magpul will give it a good run for the money, but I won't put down a penny until I get to hold one in person.   I've bought too many grips (and other accessories) sight unseen and based on member input, only to find they do not work for me.   Thank heaven for the EE and Ebay...

Overall, I give it the thumbs up.   I got mine on the EE from Bowers Tactical.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Really like mine.  It seems that I have better leverage on the rifle because of the angle of the grip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Kisara, can you post a pic of the entire rifle?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I ordered one today, I guess I'll post pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, I ordered one today, I guess I'll post pics when I get it.

You won't regret it, I've got them on all 6 of my AR's

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got big paws, so I really like the SPR grip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The new MIAD grip from MAGPUL addresses all of these issues:

Length of pull
hand size
storage capabilities
winter trigger/glove use
trigger guard gap
ambidexterous use
and texture options

In my opinion they are also much more comfortable in the hand - especially over extended use.  The grip angle is a bit closer to a 1911 and is easier on the wrist.
They will be available in 3~4 weeks - check em out.
http://www.magpul.com/miad/miad_final2.jpg
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The new MIAD grip from MAGPUL addresses all of these issues:

Length of pull
hand size
storage capabilities
winter trigger/glove use
trigger guard gap
ambidexterous use
and texture options

In my opinion they are also much more comfortable in the hand - especially over extended use.  The grip angle is a bit closer to a 1911 and is easier on the wrist.
They will be available in 3~4 weeks - check em out.
www.magpul.com/miad/miad_final2.jpg

Welcome to the board, is that your rig?
ETA:  I got a battlegrip ready for my No-Ban build.  Just holding it byitself and I can tell it is comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, the Battlegrip is nice too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
who makes that trigger guard in the picture?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's part of the Magpul grip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I could be wrong, but my understand from Rich last week was the the pistol grip and the trigger guard are two seperate items.

And the trigger guard is NOT made of plastic, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Nice pics maybz

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And with the same $167.70 it cost to buy those 6 shipped Battlegrips, you could have bought preordered two Magpul grips.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And with the same $167.70 it cost to buy those 6 shipped Battlegrips, you could have bought preordered two Magpul grips.  

He was referring to the TD grip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Jeff.  
People like to have options and I'm just throwing another one out there.  All the goodies in the world aren't of much use on a rifle if you can't hold on to the thing.  The pile of questions asked in the first thread are legit requirements and can't be ignored when choosing a grip.  The main driving force behind the MiAd was to try to satisfy all of those needs (which ain't easy).  

Both integrated plastic AND separate aluminum guards are provided
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just between you and me, Tango Down makes the "Battlegrip"  infact their rail covers and vertical grip are also likewise branded.  Just a heads up.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The best thing about grips is that are not too inexpensive.  I have three different grips and like to experiment with them. Try them all!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one question on the Magpul grip.  How to the modular panels/backstrap fasten?  I can see that they are dovetailed to slide on, but what exactly holds it together once the user has found their preferred setup.  It seems to me that Mr. Murphy would love to dump a little grit into the dovetailed grooves and allow it to loosen up and fall off  in when you didn't want it too.  anyone who has handled one of these at the shot show shed some light!  I want one  but for $65+ it better be nearly bulletproof.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

no CH='s "safe queen"

the true meaning in every way...

mark
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So was I.

Quoted:
60 Day unconditional return guarentee

Now THAT is something other mfgr's or dealers need to offer!!!   I love it when someone stands behind their product like that.  You got my money now Rich, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, it got here from Bowers Tactical. I ordered it late Tuesday, and it got here Thursday afternoon. Mike's a great guy to deal with, and has I believe the best deal on the net.

Well, it's not really a lot different from the A2, as fas as my criteria list goes, but it is in some ways an improvment.

-The trigger distance is the same, or a little less.
-Storage space is only useful for batteries, or minor bolt parts. No more storing a bolt and accessories, unless I do some surgery on the rubber "plug"
-Grip texture is rather pleasing, actually. It's aggressive enough for good traction, but it won't tear your hands up. It's completely hard plastic, so don't expect rubber (I did)
-Winter Trigger's totally gone, like Kisara said. This could be a liability, but we'll see. But the gapper function is very nice. It's also 40x less ghetto than the earplug I usually have in there.
-One handed shooting and transitions: The grip seems to balance the weight of my rifle in a nicer way. I like it.

The feel is overall much improved, even if the raw features are a bit of a draw.

I made a full review and writeup, but I fear for my home server's bandwidth. I've uploaded some pics to my Uni account, though:

What you get for your ~$30

The plug. It's sturdy, and shouldn't be torn off by anything like normal force.

I think it improves the look of the rifle. YMMV

The duckbill/gapper. too bad it prevents the trigger guard from moving down.

Thanks for the input, everyone.. I'm basically happy, but maybe I'll order up a Magpul next.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#25]
is the magpul grip and trigger guard solid? I mean does the little trigger guard rattle like the standard one or is it stiff and no play at all?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:23:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So was I.

Sorry, my reading comprehension sucked that day.  Mis-read your post.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#27]
The Magpul trigger guard is totally solid/silent.  Because of it's shape, it never needs to be hinged open and can thusly be fixed firmly in place.  The separate aluminum version is held inplace with the standard roll pin in the rear and a threaded pin/screw in the front. The integrated polymer version has only the pin/screw in the front and requires no roll pin - making it easier to install.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top