Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 8:41:15 PM EDT
why are some new upper recievers anodized and then teflon coated.  What is the purpose of the added teflon coating on the outside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
So your breakfast doesn't stick?No.  I got nothin...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So your breakfast doesn't stick?hin...

Yeah, that's why. They know the AR-15's get hot enough to cook on, so they figured on adding teflon to make it easier to cook with, and not have to worry about all the sticky mess.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't a teflon upper and lower fit together better?  I dunno, I only have one rifle so I can't compare.  But it's a DPMS upper/lower with no play.  Maybe I just got lucky with my parts.  *Shrugs shoulders*
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't a teflon upper and lower fit together better?  I dunno, I only have one rifle so I can't compare.  But it's a DPMS upper/lower with no play.  Maybe I just got lucky with my parts.  *Shrugs shoulders*

The teflon wouln't be on any of the mating surfaces so has no effect.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The majorty of teflon coatings prevent corrosion awesomely and will also protect from things like salt water. I teflon coat everything, my knife in my pocket right now I did in two tone OD green and flat black. The coatings look good, are durable, and dont cause corrosion like some other traditional types of protecting metal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
What did you use to do the teflon coating?  How's the durability of the finish you're using?

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys forgot one thing. The teflon coating is for when you have shot all your bullets and the zombies are still coming! Then you can throw your rifle at them and it will go through more of them! Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Are the uppers and lowers teflon coated?  It looks like most uppers are, but the lowers are just anodized.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Come one, everybody knows if you teflon coat the rifle it will then shoot cop killing bullets!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The vast majority of receivers are Hard Coat Anodized.  There have been exceptions, though.  Oly used to use some kind of paint finish, and DPMS teflon-coats over the HCA.  Hesse has used various finishes, but never HCA.

-Troy

Hesse    
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Whats the difference between Hard Coat Anodizing and Parkerizing?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Short answer,

On aluminum, an electrical charge is applied to the part while it is submerged in sulfuric acid; this grows a protected skin on the surface of the part.  The skin pores are open until heated, so this allows the skin to accept a color/Teflon finish, and then sealed in by heating the surface to close the pores. The hard coat mil spec is just the controlled method of how the skin is grown.

On steel, the part is boiled in a phosphate compound to allow the compound to bond with the surface metal; controlled rust with bonded material. These added phosphates protect the steel from the elements better than if the parts were just blued (only rusted).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Whats the difference between Hard Coat Anodizing and Parkerizing?

The anodized layer that protects your bare aluminum upper and lower is very thin layer of aluminum oxide.  Aluminum oxide is an extremely hard material.  Type III (aka Hardcoat) is actually harder than most steels.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#17]
If you use a Moly/Teflon finnish over your existing finnish you get a much better over all protection. Not to mention much easier to clean. Also you will not need to have a oily rifle to keep it preserved. I hate to handle messy oily guns.

Even though they say how its ok to get in the action of a weapon. Because its so thin and actualy aids in lubrication. "DO NOT GET IT INSIDE the upper, bolt or carrier.

I only use as a exterior finnish.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top