Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 10:44:17 AM EDT
I got a chance to go shooting yesterday, after a month and a half involuntary break.  First order of the day was to check my zero and adjust the windage.  Next I had four other 30 rd mags that needed to be checked for function (2 because they had new springs and followers, and 2 that were new to me) and 2 20rd. that needed to be checked.  I always have two mags. loaded full that I keep with the rife, so I decided to shoot through those first to check the zero.

Everything goes fine through the first mag.  then at the end of the second the mag fails to load the last round.  The bolt goes back and locks because the round has popped out of the mag.  Ok no big deal, some of the mags that needed work do so because of the same issue.  I note the malfunction and move on.

Out of the two new mags only one will actually load a round, another mag double feeds after a few rounds, and the rest fail to chamber the last round.  Only one of the 20 rd. mags will load a round, the other works fine because I put a new green follower in it but it will now only hold 19 rounds.

AGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I have only one 30 rd. mag that works like it is supposed to, and one 20 round mag that works but only holds 19.

I see all kinds of people here who are looking forward to the rifles that they will be able to buy after the AWB ends and that is all well and good.  But for me I can't wait for a chance to buy some new mags. that were not manufactured over 10 years ago and shoot the piece of crap mags that I have now.

Rant over.  Thank you for listening.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
would this be a good place to suggest a group buy on new 30 rd mags?

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
would this be a good place to suggest a group buy on new 30 rd mags?

hr

I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Who made the mags that don't work? Are they ALL USGI 30x, or some after-market. The a/m is crap here in USoA. Even the Brit mags are better than anything made commercially.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
First off:

What kind of mags were they?

loaded full

How many rounds were loaded into each mag? (ie.. were there 30 rnds. in the 30 rnd. mags and 20 rnds. in the 20 rnd. mag), appears so, just want to be certain?

and one 20 round mag that works but only holds 19.

Are you aware there is a front and back to mag springs, and a specific way they are attached to the followers? (no flames intended just askin...)

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
First off:

What kind of mags were they?

loaded full

How many rounds were loaded into each mag? (ie.. were there 30 rnds. in the 30 rnd. mags and 20 rnds. in the 20 rnd. mag), appears so, just want to be certain?

and one 20 round mag that works but only holds 19.

Are you aware there is a front and back to mag springs, and a specific way they are attached to the followers? (no flames intended just askin...)

Mike

Two of the ones that fail to feed the last round are Colts, and the other four I am not sure of the manufacture.  All of them are steel.  At one time or another, except for the newest two, they have all functioned flawlessly.  I am also not sure who made the 20rd ones, but I have had them the longest.  They used to work great as well, then all of a sudden one would not feed.  I got a 20 rd green follower and spring replacement.  It is installed correctly.  But the green follower is a little longer than the old black one.  I think that is the cause of the loss of capacity.  I have double checked and it is installed correctly.

I am just tired.  I hate taking mags apart and replacing parts, then putting them back together only to find the same problem or something new.

The AWB must die if for nothing else so that I can get brand spanking new mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#6]
What are the best mags to buy?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

.  All of them are steel.  

That means all of them are commercial SHIT.  

As far as  I know, those Colts are fakes.  I believe Colt only sold USGI aluminum mags under their own label.

The possible decent steel mags are the newer English ones, though I've seen troubles with those as well.

Buy yourself some good USGI's and you'll love life.  Goto the Equipment Exchange and get some NIW Okay's, Parsons, Labelles, DPMS, whatever USGI mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had great luck with steel Brit mags.

No issues except for some tight fitting in my Bushie.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
yes, steel brit mags are good
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Hate to touch this, but a 20 round magazine that's got a greenie follower in it just ain't right.

In fact this is a indicator that someone is doing things to mags they should not be doing.

The most reliable mags out there are USGI 20 magazines and they all have alloy (aluminum lookin?) followers in 'em. Ya can't get better than those and even the ones I have that are 3 decades old still function 100% of the time.

The most reliable 30 rounders out there are again USGI or the LaBelles/DPMS ones, which in are the same as USGI, just sold under a different marketing name, IMO.

I never fully load my stored mags, I place 18 in the 20s and 28 in the 30s and I have never had a cycling problem. (of course this is not necessary as I load 20 or 30 in mags on occassion and they work fine, but for storage, I download 'cus I want to KNOW my mags will work when needed, this is a personal preference and something I do, 'cus they may be setting for years, YMMV)

FWIW, I have 10 of the brit SA80 mags, bought new from ammoman and they all work 100%, (note I consider these range mags tho), sounds as if you've identified your problem, get some new mags and stick to the USGI, till ya get 50 or so of the 30s and 20 or so of the 20s, (if ya like the 20s, I do and have way more than 20, YMMV)

I highly recommend getting 10-20 of the LaBelles sold on the EE by several, or the DPMS ones they are brand new and work well, but do both yourself and the mags a favor and if stored for years download 'em to 28, and they'll work flawlessly when used years from now.....

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hate to touch this, but a 20 round magazine that's got a greenie follower in it just ain't right.

Mike

As God as my witness, I agree and only did this as a last ditch to save the mag.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.  All of them are steel.  

As far as  I know, those Colts are fakes.  I believe Colt only sold USGI aluminum mags under their own label.

The possible decent steel mags are the newer English ones, though I've seen troubles with those as well.

Buy yourself some good USGI's and you'll love life.  Goto the Equipment Exchange and get some NIW Okay's, Parsons, Labelles, DPMS, whatever USGI mags.

I second that.  I bought 2 20rd steel mags (USA brand) when I was about 15 or so, b/c they were cheap as shit and I was too itchy for  the mags to save a little longer.  I still have them, but I never touch them.  Go with surplus GI mags.  I've nevered used DPMS, but I've got the Okay, Parsons, Labelles, and some Center Industries and a FEW Colts.  No experience w/ the Brit steel mags.  I never got any because they're heavier and the finish has been REALLY coarse on the ones ive seen.  Can those aftermarket junkers and get some GI mags at the next gunshow of the EE.  The change will be glorious.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

In fact this is a indicator that someone is doing things to mags they should not be doing.

The most reliable mags out there are USGI 20 magazines and they all have alloy (aluminum lookin?) followers in 'em. Ya can't get better than those and even the ones I have that are 3 decades old still function 100% of the time.

The most reliable 30 rounders out there are again USGI or the LaBelles/DPMS ones, which in are the same as USGI, just sold under a different marketing name, IMO.

I never fully load my stored mags, I place 18 in the 20s and 28 in the 30s and I have never had a cycling problem. (of course this is not necessary as I load 20 or 30 in mags on occassion and they work fine, but for storage, I download 'cus I want to KNOW my mags will work when needed, this is a personal preference and something I do, 'cus they may be setting for years, YMMV)

FWIW, I have 10 of the brit SA80 mags, bought new from ammoman and they all work 100%, (note I consider these range mags tho), sounds as if you've identified your problem, get some new mags and stick to the USGI, till ya get 50 or so of the 30s and 20 or so of the 20s, (if ya like the 20s, I do and have way more than 20, YMMV)

I highly recommend getting 10-20 of the LaBelles sold on the EE by several, or the DPMS ones they are brand new and work well, but do both yourself and the mags a favor and if stored for years download 'em to 28, and they'll work flawlessly when used years from now.....

Mike

There is never any reason to underload a magazine if you have a proper functioning rifle and good mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Brit steel mags work for me, but my favorites are Labelles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Are thermolds good mags or no? I did a search and no results for the last 30 days.

I see a lot of them in people's pics of ARs here but not a lot of talk about them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

There is never any reason to underload a magazine if you have a proper functioning rifle and good mags.

My rifle will chamber fine on a full 30 rounder but  I hate trying to get it into action on a closed bolt as when my rifle sleeps near my nightstand.  Sometimes It just does not lock in good and I have to give a HARD slap with my hand (bruised my palm once practicing).  With 28 in the mag I can just give a little extra push and it click right in place.  Rack the charging handle, selector to fire, and she's ready to go.  I don't want to open my nightstand safe one night and slap a mag into the gun only to have it fall out on the floor when I need it most.

I have a kiddo now so I have to keep all the mags seperate from the rifle and locked away.  Don't want to lose even more time with a tough inserting mag.   28 and 18 for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
When inserting a mag into any firearm, you should load it full, inserting into opening, give it a good smack on the bottom, and fire away.

My sex advice is very similar.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are thermolds good mags or no? .

Decent magazines, reliable but don't have the life expectancy of the USGI aluminum magazines.  Considered a 2nd choice to USGI.

Please take the time to visit the Magazine forum - at the top you will find a link to Troy's excellent Magazine FAQ which covers every known AR-15 magazine out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agreed - stop being a penny pincher and get some real magazines!  You are finding out the hard way that magazines are the heart of any self-loader, go cheap and they won't run.

Goto the Equipment Exchange and get some NIW Okay's, Parsons, Labelles, DPMS, whatever USGI mags.

Excellent advice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never had a problem with any USGI magazine. Green follower or not. I did out of sake of keeping up with the times upgrade all my followers to the green ones. I have never had one failure, though, with the black followers. I never change out 20rd followers. The aluminum ones work all the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top