Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2004 9:23:52 AM EDT
Hello All
Getting ready for my first AR:
Very experienced with handguns-firing, breakdown,etc- but a total newbie to AR type rifles.
My Needs:
* Target practice(once I learn to fire it)hock.gif
* SHTF, Zombies, Pink Elephants, Terrorist Invations, ETChandle* 16.1 barrel-so I don't have to permanently install muzzle device
* "Great Look and Feel"
he"Rolex"
First Buy--Post Sept 14 is almost definitely going to be a Colt.
Models I am considering:
* AR 6721
* AR 6920
* Possibly others

My Questions:
* Is this My Ticket--Pros and Cons
* Is getting a LEO only, Gov only going to be problematic in the future?

Thanks in Advance his
Honey Grab My Xanax
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Almost forgot,
Are these barrels threaded or permanently affixed FH?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the 16" M4, it sounds like what you are looking for.  The AR15A3/ Tactical Carbine is nice, but it is heavy.  If you plan on mainly range shooting, it is a great AR15.  If you plan on doing a lot of moving around for extended periods, the lighter weight M4 is a better mousetrap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your reply

So 6920 or 6921-Pros and cons of getting 14.5 w/ permanently attached FH vs 16.1
w/ theaded?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh and yes
I am definitely "Skiddish" about LEO marked Rifle-Should I be?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the best question would be, why would you want a 14.5" barrel?  I have one, but I do a lot of room clearing, building searches and other type work.  I also carry it in a vehicle, and deploy out of a vehicle with it often.  If you don't do those things, there really isn't much use for a 14.5" barrel.

The LEO/GOV stamped weapons are a current "must have" for a lot of people.   I'm a cop, and I have had one for a long time.  For me, I see no reason in the world why anyone would want one.  I guess the main reason is because it is something many people couldn't own.   I figure most of those people as wannabes (of either mil or LE).  There are people who want them because they think they are collectors items, and power to them, they simply don't mean anything to me.  The last thing I want when I am out shooting in public places is people looking at me and thinking I'm a cop.  To much aggravation, and not worth it.

The only real reason I can see to get a stamped COLT, is that it is their top of the line.  Any other stamped weapon is simple writing on the side.  Bushmaster holds all of their weapons to a high spec, and doesn't short change any of them.  

Anyway, thats my take on it.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]
no

get a bushmaster 16in
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The LEO/GOV stamped weapons are a current "must have" for a lot of people.   I'm a cop, and I have had one for a long time.  For me, I see no reason in the world why anyone would want one.  I guess the main reason is because it is something many people couldn't own.   I figure most of those people as wannabes (of either mil or LE).  There are people who want them because they think they are collectors items, and power to them, they simply don't mean anything to me.  The last thing I want when I am out shooting in public places is people looking at me and thinking I'm a cop.  To much aggravation, and not worth it.

I think the main reason people will be getting LEO/GOV stamped weapons, for a short while after the ban, is that these will be the only complete full-featured weapons available. Same with mags, these will be available and legal directly after the sunset.

My suggestion mimics many above.

Don't get an HBAR
Ditch the carry handle and go straight to a Backup sight, ARMs 40, LMT etc.
I would prefer a removable flash suppressor over a shorter barrel (murphy's law: If you get something perminantly attached chances are someday down the road you'll want to remove it).

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for your input Stickman and Bookhound
Stick: You make some good points and I tend to agree with You...
Having said that, These are the issues that are an added complexity of making a AR decision
also I am ex LEO and I don't think I am suffering from LEO envy except I wouls like more Gun choice available.
And my sherif would not have signed off on anything as fun as an AR type(Scared of any hint of lawsuit, impropriety or publicity)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#11]
+1
What Ridge said so eloquently
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Also Home-Defence is not an issue here:
Thats a job for Glocks, Berrettas and Ye Olde 12 guage
(Which I have no shortage of)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea Guys, this sure is a complex decision in terms of so many options.
Makes choosing a new car seem like a piece of cake.
I definitely want to minimize buyers remorse on this first AR
also I plan on keeping it stock

And of course I would'nt want to buy a black and white for my personal car...is taht akin to getting a LEO only?
And more importantly are they stamped "ONLY"
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#15]
What they are stamped, and what they will mean after the AWB should be two different things.  I tell guys on the department that I don't want a stamped weapon because no one will talk to me when I bring a stamped weapon to the "meetings".
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I just want a "Full Featured Gal" w/o modifications

I just Wanna be loved, Is that so wrong...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top