Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 6:15:42 PM EDT
My friend and I were at the range today and with no warning his Armalite M15A4 Carbine fired off a 3 shot burst while he was shooting off the bench, it ended up doing this several more times randomly with no apparent pattern...The gun in question has the Armalite NM trigger and has less than 1000 rounds thru it, he was using a handload that was a 55gr FMJ w/Win 748 and a surplus 30rnd mag, the gun was cleaned prior to shooting today...Thats all the info I can think of to provide...Any thoughts on where we need to look first to cure this problem ???
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
better send in a Form 1
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
replace the trigger and spring
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like it's still a new rifle; send it back to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure it fired a 3 round burst? Some times with very light triggers Recoil can make you fire more than one round ,Like bump firing. This happend to me once while shooting an AR10 with a very light trigger.
PS: If its an Armalite send it back, Life time repair policy
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
garr, I had that happen to me also after I switched my Bushy Varmint Special trigger with my BAR 10 trigger...That was what I thought, but he says no, I'll pass that along about sending it back...Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Also make sure you have the buttstock firmly pressed on your shoulder, when shooting from the bench the recoil of a loosely held gun can essentially make it bumpfire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Since there were reloads involved, have him make sure the primers are seated all the way.

Not sure if high primers could cause a slam fire, but worth checking.

Arc
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Its the reloads. I have had this happen to me several times with reloads. It has never happened with factory ammo. It could be soft primers, the primers could not be seated correctly or it could be residue built up around the firing pin. If it continues try military primers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
10-4 on the primers, will pass that along...Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Aslo double check the firing pin and bolt assmebley, disassemble and clean, make sure the firing pin is not sticking...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Since there were reloads involved, have him make sure the primers are seated all the way.

Not sure if high primers could cause a slam fire, but worth checking.

Arc

Bingo, actually "improperly seated primers" is the #1 cause of slam fires.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
After further interogation by me, I have found out that this batch of his reloads was loaded with military brass, and upon further inspection the primers seem to be indeed the culprit...As suggested above, they are not seated properly...This is a very experienced reloader that I shoot with, he should have, and does know better, because of this, I must and will bust his balls EVERY time we shoot from now on !!!! Thanks again for all your help...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top