Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 12:26:18 AM EDT
does anyone have one and did it make your rifle only like mill ammo id like to still be able to feed it anything.  thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#1]
am i the only one thats got one here--------not likely
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  My rifle underfunctioned with all but full power m193 with the pri installed.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
hmmmmmmm thats not what i wanted to hear seeing that i just put one on
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a PRI fatboy on a Colt 14.5" setup w/ a regular carbine buffer.  I've run wal-mart special winchester white box .223 (240 rounds) and FED M193(300 rounds), and Black hills blue box 52 gr HP's (50 rounds) and haven't had any problem whatsoever.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
thats more like it . did you notice any reduction in recoil
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I did notice a very slight difference.  I had my stock 16" Colt gov't carbine(lightweight bbl) upper that I was swapping out with, (using same ammo combinations), and the PRI fat boy tubed upper had slightly noticeably less perceived recoil.  All things weren't quite equal though.  The PRI fat boy upper was a Colt 1-9 14.5" HBAR, w/ KAC FF tube, and the Colt gov't carbine was stock w/ plastic hand guards, 1-7, and lt-weight bbl.  

The difference I noticed was kind of like the difference felt after switching from M-193 to the walmart winchester .223 55gr, this is the closest I can describe.  

Again no failures at all.  I expected to have problems with the winchester .223 rounds from wal mart, but oddly enough they performed just as well as the M-193, just not as hot/snappy.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Colt M4 14.5" upper with a PRI Fatboy and it ran fine with everything including [gasp]Wolf 62 grain .223[/gasp].  The tube has to be perfectly aligned or you will have problems and yes, it does reduce felt recoil a little for better followup shots in semi.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one on my 14.5" bushy. Works with everything even my really wimpy gopher loads. No felt reduction in recoil but I noticed quicker recovery from shot to shot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
does anyone have one and did it make your rifle only like mill ammo id like to still be able to feed it anything.  thanks

I have one.

My carbine functions 100% with Winchester Q3131A (otherwise known as IMI M193), Black Hills 75gr OTM, and Wolf 55gr FMJ (Laquered case).  It pretty much runs the entire spectrum.

Now with the PRI Fat Boy I also use the 'H' Buffer per the recommendation of SMGLee from CL Tactical.

Carbine runs fine, the recoil is less sharp (more like the push of a rifle - than the snap of a carbine), and cyclic rate has been reduced (noticable during hammers).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top