Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2004 9:18:24 PM EDT
I want to install a KAC vertical grip in the extact location in this picture.

http://www.specialoperations.com/images/sopmodm4.jpg

What length of KAC panels are used in this picture on the bottom rail?

Also, when did the RAS replace the RIS on the SOPMOD M4A1, or is special operations still using a RIS?  

I know regular soliders use the RAS.

thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Hot Link

You're welcome  

From my understanding, the rail guard used on the bottom rail is a standard CAR length like the other 3, but it has been cut to a custom length to accomodate the vertical grip.  It's pretty easy to do.  Depending on the thickness of the rail guard, you can usually use a pair of scissors.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be a 4 rib and and a 2 rib.  You will have to trim just a hair off one of the panels to make it all work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Also, when did the RAS replace the RIS on the SOPMOD M4A1, or is special operations still using a RIS?  

thanks
Scott

USSOCOM is still using (and buying new) M4 RIS's as we speak.  However, some small groups with "year end $" have bought the RAS as its better supported by their Army supply system, or they prefer the added stability the newer RAS has vs their 8 year, old heavily used, M4 RIS's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks
Scott

USSOCOM is still using (and buying new) M4 RIS's as we speak.  However, some small groups with "year end $" have bought the RAS as its better supported by their Army supply system, or they prefer the added stability the newer RAS has vs their 8 year, old heavily used, M4 RIS's.

When did they start using the RAS?  Could the RIS be considered the "standard issue" rail system for SOCOM?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hot Link

You're welcome  

From my understanding, the rail guard used on the bottom rail is a standard CAR length like the other 3, but it has been cut to a custom length to accomodate the vertical grip.  It's pretty easy to do.  Depending on the thickness of the rail guard, you can usually use a pair of scissors.  

You might find cutting through the KAC pannels with scissors a bit difficult...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When did they start using the RAS?  Could the RIS be considered the "standard issue" rail system for SOCOM?

The RIS remains standard in USSOCOM.
However, many of the Army origin units "chopped" to USSOCOM for Operations are getting support through their Army Logistics/Supply system that only stocks RAS & RAS parts.  So if a Ranger looses the lower to his RIS, he will probably get it replaced by a Army RAS lower.  Same same if he wants a whole new unit, he'll get a RAS.
Another example, just had a Navy SEAL unit order 108 M4 RAS's with their own unit $ because they could only get RIS's through their USSOCOM support system.  They also bought our (KAC) 200-600 meter flip-up rear sights because the only one they can get through USSOCOM is our 300 meter (standard) flip rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
coldblue,

Would it be believable if my SOPMOD M4A1 clone has a RAS, KAC flash suppressor for the M4QD suppressor, a KAC 300 BUIS, and an Aimpoint with newer slanted style Aimpoint QRP mount?  The carbine also has the old style 4 position stock and RAS "T" numbers on the flattop.  The barrel is dated 7/02.

Would this be a configuration used by the special forces?  Or do the features/accessories of my clone conflict with one another because they came out at different times?

Scott
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
bump
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top