Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 7:36:15 AM EDT
to get the standard stock off my factory original Bushmaster so I can install a collapsible stock after the AWB ends?  I read another post a while ago about the screw being loc-tite'd on to make it permanant, but I can't seem to find it.  Do I need any special tools to get the old stock off?  I know I need the special wrench to get the new one on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
to get the standard stock off my factory original Bushmaster so I can install a collapsible stock after the AWB ends?  I read another post a while ago about the screw being loc-tite'd on to make it permanant, but I can't seem to find it.  Do I need any special tools to get the old stock off?  I know I need the special wrench to get the new one on.

Directions are at the bottom of this page; ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen instructions on how to do it,  but what I'm asking about is will I physically be able to get the screw out of the stock (assuming it's got loc-tite from the factory)?  Someone said they stripped the screw trying to get it out.  What can I use to loosen the screw in this case?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Shorty, I just removed the stock of my bushmaster today. The srew does have red loctite on there, just get a big blade screwdriver,a nd give it a good twist. The buffer tube requires a 5/8 wrench and some muscle to get out of there....watch out for flying pins etc...

I'm getting mine ready for my 6-pos, as well I've been trying to find information on if I can make the swap after the 14th. Seeing as your doing it, and the amount of time you've been registered I must be able to as well!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've seen instructions on how to do it,  but what I'm asking about is will I physically be able to get the screw out of the stock (assuming it's got loc-tite from the factory)?  Someone said they stripped the screw trying to get it out.  What can I use to loosen the screw in this case?

The loctite used there is designed to be removable.  It will not be a problem.  Use the largest flat tipped screwdriver you can get your hands on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
btw, if you get a magpul m93a stock, it doesnt require the stock wrench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
WOoo.... I''m in the same boat... super info guys.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Could try putting a soldering iron to the screw for a few minutes to heat it up and make the loctite more soft.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Origionaly posted by Dragonfly228:
Could try putting a soldering iron to the screw for a few minutes to heat it up and make the loctite more soft.

I wouldnt try this. Soldering irons transfer heat very quickly and there is the posibility of partialy melting the stock around the screw. I didnt think lock tite was efected like that by heat. maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Origionaly posted by Dragonfly228:

I wouldnt try this. Soldering irons transfer heat very quickly and there is the posibility of partialy melting the stock around the screw. I didnt think lock tite was efected like that by heat. maybe I'm wrong.

Heat with a soldering iron is SOP for removing fasteners treated with Loctite .

From Their WEBSITE

Blue:  Can be removed with hand tools
Red:  Apply heat to remove
Green:   Apply heat to remove
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
OK sorry about that. I didnt think it would work. But there is still the posibility of aplying too much heat and melting the stock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah.. I would caution against using heat too.  Not next to plastic.  

When I got my first AR15 I tried to remove the stock and could NOT for the life of my remove the screw.  I finally dremelled the stock off (because I had another one).. the reason I had to remove the buffer tube is a long story... anyway afterwards I got a real screwdriver and it removed the screw easily.  So, get the biggest screwdriver you can that will fit and give it a good yank.  Interestingly I've never had to use a wrench to get the buffer tube off.  Two hands on it, palms facing down, with the whole assembly sitting almost flat on the floor so the lower won't turn and give it a good twist.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top