Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 2:00:50 PM EDT
All,

Just registered to this site after lurking for a while.  

Allow me to introduce myself.  I am an active duty AF Member in FL.  I finally decided to get an AR for several reasons.  One, primarially to have a weapon much like I would be issued.  Since I cant have a 16  (not in my budget) the AR will make a suitable fill-in.  I also bought it to help a friend.  He is doing home renovation and needed some $$$.

It is a pre-ban SGW lower with a A2 HBAR upper.  1:9 barrel.  It has the Trijicon reflex II sight on the "gooseneck" mount.  It is the triangle sight.

I have a few questions on accessories and about the AR in general.

1.  Where can one find suitable pipe cleaners to clean the gas tube?  Does anyone have a better way to clean it?

2.  One of the coolest things I ever remember seeing on a AR (and can't find now) is someone found a way to mount a M-60 bipod and I think flash hider on the end of the barrel.  Does anyone know where I could possibly find this setup?

3.  Do any of yall have any recomendations on the extended bolt carrier release latches?

4.  Is/Has anyone used the Pearce Grip adaptor for the AR (the one that simulates the M1911 grip)?

5.  I have seen buttstocks that hold a 30 round magazine from Cabellas.  Are these any good?  Have any of you used them?  What would be better, this stock or the Blackhawk strap on mag pouch?

6.  Rifle buttstock lead weight...is it worth it?  How much does it affect recoil?  Does it make the rifle too heavy?

7.  Brit SA80 mags.  I have heard that some may not fit in AR rifles.  Is this correct?

Thank you for the help.  I am happy to be here and a contributing member.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]

I am sure this forum, and the equipment exchange (EE), or Build it yourself forums will answer those specifics for you, but I wanted to be one of the first to welcome you aboard !
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Kurts Kustom Firearms has a picture of  the M60 bipod, and mabey the M60 flashhider, right on his web page. Look over in the industry forums. Im sure he can help you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, welcome warpusher.  Take it out and shoot it before you go changing it and adding a bunch of crap.  My first AR (now have 4) looked like it was drug thru the EE with a crap magnet before I even shot it.  The one I'm finishing now is totaly stripped down, A1 upper with an M4 barrel and a Defensive Edge stock.  Short and light no gadgets widgets or geegaws.  While I like my M4gery with all the stuff hanging on it, you don't realize how heavy that thing is until you pick up a strpped carbine
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
welcome
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the board, fire away.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT CLEAN THE GAS TUBE!

it cleans itself when 15,000lbs of pressure from a discharge powers through it.

self cleaning

MadMan
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
MC Dill?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
5. I have seen buttstocks that hold a 30 round magazine from Cabellas. Are these any good? Have any of you used them? What would be better, this stock or the Blackhawk strap on mag pouch?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/rase_stock.html

i don't know if this is what your looking for or not. but it does hold a 20 - 30 round mag plus it has a video showing its use. if anything the video is intresting to watch
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Ummm... new AR and no pictures?!?!?!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I forget what does SGW stand for??
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Welcome!

Who said it was a carbine, he said it was an h-bar that's exactly the opposite isn't it?

As others said, the gas tube itself is self clearning, you can clean the carrier elbow where it connects as you clean the bolt carrier itself.

The rest of the stuff in my opinion is not worth dealing with until you know a lot more about what you want.

Lots of good info here. Also check the Maryland AR15 site:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

and check in on our little colorado ar 15 site if you want:
http://groups.msn.com/ColoradoAR15ShootersSite/_whatsnew.msnw?pgmarket=en-us
and fourm at:
http://coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

KAC
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I congratulate you on not just saying hi for your first post.  Well done, and welcome aboard.

I deem this thread not to be a trap.

Go Air Force.  Where are you stationed?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
1.  Where can one find suitable pipe cleaners to clean the gas tube?  Does anyone have a better way to clean it?

Ok I'll say this once again.
Putting crap down the gas tube (Pipe Cleaners or liquid of any kind) is just begging for trouble.   Don't do it.  The tube is self cleaning and all the manuals (military and manufacturer) will tell you not to clean the inside of the tube.  The exterior of the tube (in side the upper receiver) needs to be cleaned and a worn bore brush is recommended.

2.  One of the coolest things I ever remember seeing on a AR (and can't find now) is someone found a way to mount a M-60 bipod and I think flash hider on the end of the barrel.  Does anyone know where I could possibly find this setup?

I know where to find a M60 bipod but I have not seen the setup you've described.  Most people use the Harris bipod (which is much better) for their AR15s

3.  Do any of yall have any recomendations on the extended bolt carrier release latches?
 Yeah save your money and don't buy one - they are not needed.

4.  Is/Has anyone used the Pearce Grip adaptor for the AR (the one that simulates the M1911 grip)?

Save your money - that angle is great for 1911s but wrong for AR-15s.

5.  I have seen buttstocks that hold a 30 round magazine from Cabellas.  Are these any good?  Have any of you used them?  What would be better, this stock or the Blackhawk strap on mag pouch?
The Rase 30 - interesting design but too long for most people (unless all you do is shoot from a bench or are 6'4" tall).  IMHO the Blackhawk pouch is a better idea.

6.  Rifle buttstock lead weight...is it worth it?  How much does it affect recoil?  Does it make the rifle too heavy?
 That weight adds 4 lbs to the rifle - unless you are a DCM shooter (and it doesn't sound like it) stay away from it.

7.  Brit SA80 mags.  I have heard that some may not fit in AR rifles.  Is this correct?

There are 2 versions of this mag out there.  One is crappy (the one with the plastic base) the others usually work well (there are some exceptions).  I suggest a visit to our magazine forum and look at Troy's Mag FAQ for the answers (probably the best source for AR-15 magazine information anywere (electronic or print).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey warpusher! Welcome from an also new guy. First I would like to say thank you for being a part of the best armed forces in the world!!! I hope it is as good to you as you are to them. On your gas tube question, could you be possibly reffering to the gas key on the bolt? If it is the gas tube on the upper then PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THERE!!! We never cleaned the inside of the gas tube in the corps. Second , talk to someone at the armory about cleaning your new aquisition they should have all the answers. And c: get a standard manuel (you can download one here) on the general basics of the ar-15/m-16. It will have every cleaning subject that you will need to keep your 15 perking along for life. Lastly , the advice on take it out and shoot it before you change it is very good advice. If you are set on "accessories" do a lot of thinking before you buy. As for  carrying extra mags on the rifle, a mag-sinch would help you carry an extra mag but may take some getting used to as it is like carrying a broom handle on the bottom for the first time. It gets caught on everything. Anyway good luck and keep us posted. Take care. Coondogh=85%

Just like going down the slide at kindergarden , so is the days of our lives, WEEEEEEE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Wedge1082,

Like your name...been a Star Wars Fan since Birth (long time ago in 1977).

I'm stationed down at Eglin AFB in NWFL...or South Alabama however you look at it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the help!  I guess cleaning out the interior of the tube is a bad thing.  The "Newest" manual I have on hand is for A1's and it said to do it.

Yes I do have the full size rifle, not the Carbine.  I've not seen a use for the M-4 in my line of work, but I do know that anyone in CQB/combat swears by them.  I'd rather just be the average joe if it came down to it...draws less fire.

I wish I could go to the armory.  My base (Eglin) doesn't have one...doesn't have a CATM shooting range either.  We have to go to Hurlburt (HQ AFSOC) to do any type of training....of which I am sorely lacking.  BUt on the positive side, they have no need for brass, so I've been able to acquire a couple lbs of once fired Lake City Brass.  The AF has deemed that officers do not need to be trained on the M-16, just the M-9.  So because of that I'm having to self-teach myself on the AR.  I've fired them in the past now I'm trying to find how to take care of them.  I'm glad that this site is here.

I will try to post some pics as soon as I can get access to a digital camera.  Probably nothing anyone on this site hasn't seen, but like the saying goes...This is my rifle, there are many like it but THIS ONE is MINE.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#21]
warpusher

My thanks for your service, and welcome to the Forum. Be assured all of us here are ready, willing and able to help. That's what community is all about.

The Information tab at the top has Manuals and Downloads which should give you most of what you need in the way of our military's official poop on our beloved M16/AR15. Beware, one is over 350 pages long, so check before you hit the print button!

Welcome again, good luck and good shooting!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top