Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 12:31:43 PM EDT
How many use a Surefire M3 as a weapon light on your AR's and how do they hold up?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Boog ......I don't have the answers for that question, but like you, I am interested in the feedback as I have at least one AR that I'd like to add a weapon light to.

The Surefire product line seems to be the industry standard, and the M3- a popular choice
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an M6 (light + laser) on mine and it's held up just fine so far.   I do usually take it off for extended range periods, however.   It goes on and off so easy that it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got permission to install the GG&G adapter on my department issue Commando.  Very easy install.    I already had the M3, so this was a quick fix.  I'm very happy with it so far.   Pluses are that it is light weight, compact and produces decent light (don't ask me the lumens).   I don't have the pressure switch, and don't want it.  The controls are very convenient and the momentary on is made simply by lifting my off hand thumb.  Seems like it will be very easy to use.  As far as how it holds up, can't say, haven't shot with it yet, but doubt it will be a problem as I've shot with it on my Glock rather extensively.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How many use a Surefire M3 as a weapon light on your AR's and how do they hold up?

I've ran a Surefire M3 for a while on several different setups and it worked fine. I'm using a SF M962C on one gun at current, and waiting for an M961P to come in. I dig the SF 9V. Can't get any better than that.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the replies.

Now I just hope the one I'm looking at is still available.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]

I have an M6 (light + laser) on mine and it's held up just fine so far. I do usually take it off for extended range periods, however. It goes on and off so easy that it's no big deal

The M6...that's not a SureFire...the Surefire M3 is a big handheld light.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had my M3 on my AR for about a year now & am very happy with it.  I'm using  an ARMS ring (with 1" shim) to mount it to my YHM forend. I have a YHM angle adapter on the top rail so when the light is mounted it's at about 2 oclock. Before this setup  I used an old Surefire mount to just bolt the light directly to the barrel, but the light got very hot and I was afraid of damaging it or the batteries.  I LOVE MY M3
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#8]
M6 on a GG&G offset tactical flashlight mount.  Light and control is right on my thumb.  No change in grip to turn it on in the on demand setting.  Doesn't stick out any farther than any other rail mounted conventional Surefire flashlight.  And there is no retarded pressure switch to route and TRY to secure.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The M6 you guys are talking about is an Insight M6/ M3 (without laser).  They're talking about a Surefire Industries M3 conventional looking weaponlight... long tube style.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]

That would make a fine mountable light - with or without a tail pressure switch if you could get a mount that would fit on it.  I'm sure there is one out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The M3 is NOT a weapon light.

There are much better choices of Surefire lights for an AR.

See C4iGrant in the Equipment Exchange. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=204969
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
i took one of the picatinny type rails from a cheap ass Leapers forward scope mount someone gave me,
and mounted it to the foreend of  a bushy Xm15E2S 'bine by dremeling down the rib on the foreend to make a sturdy surface, drilling a hole for the bolt, and adding a loctited nut and lock washer.
works great and didn't cost me anything (already had the light on a glock)
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both the M961 and the M951 and I think they are both great. I have my M951 mounted to my M4 right now and it is wonderful, still bright as hell but a little lighter and less bulky than the M961. I have the thumb screws for mine so there is no way of it accadentaly coming loose, I also have the 6 inch tape switch for both. I am so impressed with their lights thast I am buying G2's for everyone at christmas.

Dont think the M951 is not bright enough either, mine kicks ass. I think both are just as good at a realistic range. My 961 does get out there though. Eagle Firearms has them for cheap but I am sure brightflashlights could hook you up with a better price, he is who I am going to buy my G2's from...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice option, another one to consider.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#20]

BVM is right, the M3 is not a weapons light. It is a great, great light and could probably be used if need be, but the real answer is to get a M96 series weapon light. It the weapons mountable light equal to the M3. Differences include build in mounts (either ARMS throw lever or dual thumb screw) and a cutt off that isolates the batteries from smacking in to the rear of the bulb (the weakest part of the light) under recoil. It is more expensive, but worht the cost in my opinion.

Recoil on an AR is not a concern, and my setup will work just as well as the (very much more) expensive dedicated units from Surefire. And I'll have money left over for other stuff!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top