Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2004 6:08:42 PM EDT
I'm thinking about purchasing a couple crane stocks to replace some of my current supply of collasping stocks. My question is: Do I need to replace the entire stock assembly or can I just replace the sliding part? Meaning can I save the four and six posit tubes that I currently installed. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is a Colt/milspec tube than sure, the tube will work. If it is not, it will be to big.

HTH, JC
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
JC is right.  The Crane will only work on Colt, LMT, or VLTOR buffer tubes/receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, well my carbines have as far as I know Mil Spec stocks. Guess I'll just have to order one up and see for my self. So next question, who 's got the best price and has them in stock. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
JC is right.  The Crane will only work on Colt, LMT, or VLTOR buffer tubes/receiver extensions.

If your buffer tube is not one of the one's UXB mentioned, then your tube does not have the mil-spec diameter and the Crane stock will not work. You mentioned that you have a six position stock. I know Colt only made 2 and 4 position tubes, I believe LMT's are 5 position and I am not sure about VLTOR, but I would almost bet that your six position tube will not work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to JTAC Supply saturday with the intent of getting a LMT Sopmond stock but got a VLTOR instead because it was about $100 bucks cheaper.  You can't go wrong either way.  JTAC is the best place to buy them.....  www.jtacsupply.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Vltor is the way to go...Its an improved Crane.  The Crane stock is good for a collector novelty(and great cheek weld) but the Vltor product functions better. IE sling swivel mounts..storage accessibility(without removing the stock) modularity..etc etc

Remember, the Crane stock was done several years ago and fulfilled a storage and cheekweld need and was great for its day when nothing else was available.  But now..there's so much more out there. and for so much less

go with Vltor  IMHO

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
In my humble opinion, the Crane stock has it's place in today's market. It functions very well, and offers a great cheek weld. It's very comfortable to use and has a rubber pad at the rear. It fits tight on the receiver extension and there's no rattle or looseness at all. It is heavier than most telescoping stocks, except for the Magpul. It weights about the same as the A2 buttstock, so the gun becomes very well balanced even with railed forends that have stuff hung on them. There are various options to mount a sling to it, GG&G and Knight's come to mind but I have a much much cheaper solution that I will share when I get it finished. h.gif
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top