Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:36:53 PM EDT
A few years ago, I bought a Colt 20" A3 HBAR. Dissatisfied with the quality, accuracy, and Colt's customer service, I traded it in on a Bushie 20" A2 HBAR (I've been considering giving service rifle a try).
Anyway, fit and finish are excellent on this particular rifle. Head and shoulders above the Colt. (Please, I'm not trying to start a Colt vs. Every Other Manufacturer thread. I'm just giving my personal experience with two separate rifles.) Back to the Bushie - so far, so good. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the factory barrel. I was so impressed with Bushmaster's product, I  purchased another A2 upper from Bushmaster. I've noticed that the finish on the inside of the carry handle is rough and apparently unfinished on the new upper. This weekend at the range, I actually cut my knuckle on the handle it is that rough. I considered filing it down, but don't want to totally ruin the finish.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? (Apologies if this has come up before in previous threads, I searched and came up empty handed.)

Is this grounds for sending it back to Bushmaster, or is this commonplace?

Thanks in advance,
Coal-Cracker
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
the inside of my Colt A2 and A1 upper carry handles are smoother than my bushy removable carry handle.  That said, they're all rough on the inside, it's an indication of being forged, so it's normal.  I guess if you are anal enough you can take a file and smooth it out, but no doubt you'll have to refinish it afterward, and it serves no practical purpose since you're not suppose to carry the rifle by the carrying handle in the first place, so it's a none issue.  Keep your fingers out of that loop and enjoy your rifle!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The channel in carry handles made from forgings are all machined. The forging does not provide an unfinished channel product, omly the exteral portion is not machined. Any texture differance is via alum. oxide, commonly called by (sand blasting), smooth has nothing to do via cutters. The cutter width is .500", ie -1/2".  
Jack
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the inside of my Colt A2 and A1 upper carry handles are smoother than my bushy removable carry handle.  That said, they're all rough on the inside, it's an indication of being forged, so it's normal.  I guess if you are anal enough you can take a file and smooth it out, but no doubt you'll have to refinish it afterward, and it serves no practical purpose since you're not suppose to carry the rifle by the carrying handle in the first place, so it's a none issue.  Keep your fingers out of that loop and enjoy your rifle!

Thanks for the response. I thought it was odd that it was so rough on the "second" upper, when compared to the original Bushy which really looks like someone spent attention to get it really smoothed out. Perhaps the first one was a "gem in the bunch". (I do recall the Colt A3 removable had similiar roughness.) I have since noticed different upper receiver marking on the two Bushy uppers.

Bottom line: I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it.

edit: 3rdtk, thank you as well. I was wondering about that as I looked at the uppers.

Oh by the way, I don't carry the AR using the handle like a suitcase. hough
Again, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Well here's a couple of pics showing the inside of my Colt A1 and A2 carry handles, and Bushy A3 removable carry handle:

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]

all my carry handles are "in the rough"  except my  P. M.    A-1 upper,   which was

machined smooth when it was manufactured.     i've seen other P.M. uppers that were

not finished in this manner.    apparently someone thought that people would actually

use the carry handle as a carry handle........go figure !!      btw.  it's only been cleaned

up on the upper surface of the handle; the front , back, and bottom of the slot still show

the forging flash.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top