Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2004 3:55:50 PM EDT
Looking for group sizes to base decision on a new rifle build.  

TIA

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
SS machines better, so it is more consistant.  I like the Oly S.U.M. barrels, as they are a fantastic barrel, and at a very doable price.  There are plenty of other companies that make a great barrel in SS as well.  SS is softer, but unless you shoot massive amounts, you aren't going to notice a difference.  Unless you drop large scratch on a scope (and are a very good shooter), you won't tell the difference between a good SS or good chromemoly barrel.  

Beware of groups, some barrels are flat out better than others for no reason other than a fluke.  Look for barrels which always perform, not just the one people brag about as their best ever grouping.

Lastly, remember that internet groups are like fishing stories....lies and damn lies.....

Good luck with your search!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Stickman.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I could spend an hour shooting box after box of WWB with my RRA 16" ss upper into paper at 50 yards and just end up tearing one ragged hole out of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are capable of being very accurate, but the tendency among target shooters seems to be SS. I don't think SS is more accurate, but it might maintain accuracy a little longer. SS is more brittle, and harder to machine. But it may withstand the erosion of hot gases better--resulting in longer barrel life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL,

In one thread SS is both softer and harder than chromoly.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW, hardness and softness are QUITE debatable and can be altered (and almost always are) signifigantly during the manufacturing process.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anybody done a head to head between a SS and Chroemoly using the same ammo and record the results?  

TIA
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LOL,

This is the first time I've ever heard of it being harder myself, as well as the first time I've ever heard it is harder to machine.  The barrel makers I've spoken with consider SS to be easier and more consistant when tooling.  I don't make barrels, so I am more than willing to admit I am repeating what I've been told.

Chewy-  I don't think you can get an accurate test, as I'm not sure of any makers of barrels that machine SS and ChromeMoly barrels the same way.  If they do them different, it kind of negates the test....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Roger that Stick...thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
SS is generally capable of producing better accuracy.

Chromoly is generally more tolerant of abuse.

For ultimate accuracy, I'd look at the White Oak Armament barrels sold by ADCO Firearms on this board.

IIRC, they start with Wilson blanks, which are contoured by Frank White at Compass Lake engineering, then finished by John Hollister at White Oak Armament.

If you are into precision shooting, you already know these names.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LOL,

That is kinda of funny isn't it  Well I would do some SEARCHES to get more support for my post but I'll just say it and let those who want more info do the searching.  SS barrels will "shoot out" quicker then the chromoly and chromoly before the chrome lined.  Meaning the tighter tolerances in the rifling of the SS barrels will wear faster (*if you shoot a WHOLE LOT you might see the difference but from what I have been told from reliable sources around here it is nothing the average shooter should base a purchase on) because it is a bare SS barrel.  Chromoly tends (recognizing the processes can effect strength of the materials) to be harder but also not have the same care taken in the tolerences so it might be a little "loose" compared to the SS but the bore is bare also so accuracy is (all things equal) close enough to the SS that average shooters won't notice.  Chrome lined is the least accurate (all things equal) because of the irregularies in the bore caused from the chrome lining but the lining will allow the bore to be more resistant to the "shooting out" that both the chromoly and SS may show.  Same twists, Same length, and with different barrel materials will only be the begining of accuracy issues for most of us so pick the twist and material you can afford and have fun
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top