User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2004 6:58:30 AM EDT
Mod 1

BTW - I found this pic in today's pic post over at militaryphotos.net
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice and all, but that doesn't look like a GI to me.

WTF, over?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

WTF, over?

uhh, there are tons of contractors and SF operating in iraq.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as he's getting ready to "POP"  a Haji.Who cares who he is as long as he is on our side.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

WTF, over?

Is this the first you've heard of these "wars-on-terror"?

A-teams on horseback...not GI
SOF operators in Yukons and Land Cruisers...not GI
Not having 100 of them come after 10 of you cause you blend in is a good thing
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully, he's got al shithead himself in the crosshairs!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice pic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, over?

Is this the first you've heard of these "wars-on-terror"?

A-teams on horseback...not GI
SOF operators in Yukons and Land Cruisers...not GI
Not having 100 of them come after 10 of you cause you blend in is a good thing

I understand what you are saying, but something about that photo... The hair, envioment, etc. just led me to believe that he was not fighting for US. You can probably understand where I'm coming from, yes?

Then again, imagine stepping outside with an SPR. I think that alone would give you away.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]

I understand what you are saying, but something about that photo... The hair, envioment, etc. just led me to believe that he was not fighting for US. You can probably understand where I'm coming from, yes?

Then again, imagine stepping outside with an SPR. I think that alone would give you away.

Yea, I can understand where you're coming from.  I just got used to seeing it I guess, there are a lot of SOF guys out in indian country these days.  The ruse is usually more beneficial at a long distance anyways, and to Haji a gun is a gun is a gun.  I wouldn't want to be seen up close by an Iraqi but from far away you will attract much less attention.  When one of those fuckers sees you a whole village is gonna check it out...men, women, kids, goats, dogs, aliens, obscure 80's TV stars, etc.  Every swinging dick.  It's not like they work over there.  But if you're just another raghead in a man-dress, chances are they won't bat an eye at you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yea, I can understand where you're coming from.  I just got used to seeing it I guess, there are a lot of SOF guys out in indian country these days.  The ruse is usually more beneficial at a long distance anyways, and to Haji a gun is a gun is a gun.  I wouldn't want to be seen up close by an Iraqi but from far away you will attract much less attention.  When one of those fuckers sees you a whole village is gonna check it out...men, women, kids, goats, dogs, aliens, obscure 80's TV stars, etc.  Every swinging dick.  It's not like they work over there.  But if you're just another raghead in a man-dress, chances are they won't bat an eye at you.

Well... That's a good way to put it...

Obscure 80s TV stars? Guess Iraq is more of a hellhole than I thought it was before.

About SF, I realize that this is true - many special operations personell have greater worries than their hairdue in combat. Additionally, it DOES make it easier to blend in. A high and tight will make you stick out like... [ comparison removed... you get the idea ]

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#11]
IMHO this is a SF soldier. However, it could also be a security contractor setting up a sniper post to cover a convoy or dignitary, maybe? You have to remember, SOF aren't always clean shaven and they don't always have all their gear, hence the name Special Operations.

add: take for example Task Force 121 in Afghanistan. They have long hair, long beards, and good tans to fit in with the Afghan people.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
"hey, keep your finger off the trig.... oh... got one?"

- BUCC_Guy

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure, but I thought that the spr was a complete package, not just an upper dropped onto an m16.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]
One order of Virgins, Comin' UP!.............
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]
El Salvador, 1983.

Can you pick which one I am by what an SF is supposed to look like?

I'm the one "gone native" with the visible dog tags and the "modified grooming standards".

Don't judge the book by its cover...

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Photo is also on CCNs site with the following caption.

"A U.S. Army sniper takes position Tuesday near the Imam Ali Mosque."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One order of Virgins, Comin' UP!.............

BTW, sweet pic uxb
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
IMHO this is a SF soldier. However, it could also be a security contractor setting up a sniper post to cover a convoy or dignitary, maybe? You have to remember, SOF aren't always clean shaven and they don't always have all their gear, hence the name Special Operations.

add: take for example Task Force 121 in Afghanistan. They have long hair, long beards, and good tans to fit in with the Afghan people.

TF 121 wasn't formed until Iraq.  They DO have long hair and beards, however.  More to blend in with journalists and aid workers than the Iraqis...cause all the blond haired blue eyed dudes have them too.  the tans are just a by-product of the palace they use as a HQ's having a shitload of swimming pools around it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
good ol' fashion 30 round tactical grip
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
TF 121 wasn't formed until Iraq.  They DO have long hair and beards, however.  More to blend in with journalists and aid workers than the Iraqis...cause all the blond haired blue eyed dudes have them too.  the tans are just a by-product of the palace they use as a HQ's having a shitload of swimming pools around it.

Maybe so, but I saw a special on the Discovery Times channel which said a little different. From what they said, TF 121 was formed with one purpose: track down Osama and finish cleaning up Al Qaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan. The TF 121 guys they interviewed (kept their ID's unknown) were mostly green berets if I recall, and most learned to speak the native language. Some special ones even wore typical Afghan attire. However, there may be some in Iraq too but the only ones they talked about on this documentary were the ones in Afghanistan.

add: Sorry to hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#28]
See, this is what happens when generals let the media do dumb shit and put out half-assed ino.  Not your fault by any means.  I blame pecil puchers at the Pentagon that make $120,000 a year to let supposedly classified info like the existence of these task forces onto a documentary.  I bet I can guess the month the documentary first aired because every official mention of said TF had to be changed to a new name which wasn't compromised.    
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
See, this is what happens when generals let the media do dumb shit and put out half-assed ino.  Not your fault by any means.    

your probably right. but I was glancing at some info a minute ago from a military site and it did say that TF 121 is in Iraq and Afghanistan. It also said there are CIA officers mixed in, something I did not know. I guess we can't forget either that it was TF 121 who caught Saddam. I think the documentary I saw was just concentrating on one group of guys and not all of TF 121, by all means.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

In late summer of 2003, Task Force 5 in Afghanistan and Task Force 20 in Iraq were disbanded and were combined into TF 121 which operates throughout the middle east

ahh, I knew certain TF's were combined into TF 121, but I did not know which ones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe so, but I saw a special on the Discovery Times channel which said a little different. From what they said, TF 121 was formed with one purpose: track down Osama and finish cleaning up Al Qaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan. The TF 121 guys they interviewed (kept their ID's unknown) were mostly green berets if I recall, and most learned to speak the native language. Some special ones even wore typical Afghan attire. However, there may be some in Iraq too but the only ones they talked about on this documentary were the ones in Afghanistan.

add: Sorry to hijack the thread.

I was deployed with SF in Pakistan 2 years ago and at that time they did wear the long hair, beards and local clothing to blend in but HQ directed everyone to start shaving and complying with standards again. None of them were too thrilled about this directive but had to comply (maybe some teams were exempted but these guys were definitely deep in the action). I got home from Iraq 7 months ago where I was with both the original TF20 and then 121, their replacement among other groups. All of the operators I knew did not have the beard action going. Some CIA did though and the mercs as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#33]
interesting info Overlander, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those SPR uppers just get mounted on their M16's right???

So they are using a super accurate upper with a crappy .mil trigger???

KAC 2-stage, ususally.

On M16's or semi's?

Of course I am not the Ricker but KAC makes the 2 stage for the M16.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top