Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:37:51 AM EDT
It doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 or 2 mags out of 10.  Is it something I should worry about trying to fix?  It isn't really too big of a problem, just kind of an annoyance because when it does it I've then got to pull the charging handle so I can check to make sure the last case ejected and my chamber is clear.  Now, it's an Oly Plinker, and I know it's not the highest quality AR, I've heard all of that before.  So I'd appreciate it if you guys would keep any snide remarks as far as the brand and quality goes to yourselves.  Try and keep to the subject.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have an empty mag inserted, and pull the charging handle, does it lock back?

If it does, you might check the ammo or internal to make sure it's not short stroking(Maybe better lubrication?)

If it doesnt, it's prob a bent bolt catch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, on the times that it doesn't lock open, if I pull it back afterward, it locks open.  In general it does, it's just one mag out of ever 5 or 10 that it doesn't lock open.  I don't think it has anything to do with the mags, I only have 3 20's that get rotated over and over in an afternoon of shooting.  A lack of lubrication is possible, now that I think about it it didn't start doing it till towards the end of my last shooting session.  Maybe try shooting a bit of CLP in there next time it does it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Certain magazines also have difficulty locking back- if its consistent with a particular mag or two, then your problem is the mag, not the rifle.

Apparantly, magpul followers have helped a few individuals with their BHO problems.  Also, are you putting oil in your magazines?  You're not supposed to add any lubricant to the magazines.  The moly coating on the inside, and the followers provide everything needed for lubrication.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]
beat me to the post...none of it makes much sense anymore lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, it sounds like my rifle is just having moments where it decides to be a PITA and not lock open.  If anyone has any other ideas, please post them.  Otherwise I'll just mess with it more next time I go shooting and see if I can figure it out.  I'll probably try breaking it down and looking it over tonight to see if I can find anything that might be causing it, and also check my mags.  It's hardly past 600 rounds, so I don't think it could be anything wearing out yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
A2 top screw in A1 buttstock?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Next time it occurs mark the magazine with a piece of tape or something to id it.  This will narrow it down to a possible mag problem if it only happens with the marked one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah. good idea 00
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem, it was the magazines.  One day I just loaded all my mags with 5 rounds and seperated the ones that failed.  Then repeated and it was the same mags having the problem.  I tried new springs and followers, still the same problem.  I recently put in Magpul followers and the problem was solved.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Butt screw too long---------prevents bolt from going all the way back to lock--i spent 4 hours going over one of my ar's (bolt, charging handle, bolt release etc) all came down to having a too long butt screw in the rear stock.  To check it unscrew the screw a few turns and pull the charging handle back with an empty mag in the rifle---it now should lock back---replace the screw with a shorter one
Good luck    JIMBO
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the same problem on my brand new Bushy lower. I have a colaspsable stock on it so I know it's not the A1 stock screw. It does it with most of my USGI mags. And also my mags fail to drop free. Have no problems with this on my two Colts, guess it just needs to be broke in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's a newer lower, the bolt catch spring can be too strong.  What can be happening is that the mag springs just aren't quite up to the task of overcoming the spring that keeps the bolt catch down.  You can either get new mag springs for every mag that's affected or remove the bolt catch and clip a coil off the spring.  Or just wait until it gets weaker naturally.

JMHO.

C_M
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top