Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2004 7:17:40 AM EDT
I have a new 20in barrel on order which I will be replacing on one of my uppers come Sept.

This leaves me with a reasonably good 16in post ban barrel---which I will send in to be threaded-----and I purchased a crap collapsable stock from Sportsman's Warehouse for $29 complete with 2 springs and buffer----this stock is nothing I would put on a quality build----so I went ahead and ordered an ACE stock to put on my shorty instead.

This crappy collaplable got me thinkin about making a "Ghetto" AR---it will have a decent barrel(only because its left over)----and everything else will have the absolute cheapest parts I can find---will be just a range gun---if it turns out to be reliable---even better.

Thought about doing a 80% lower---but will cost more in the long run because of the tools needed.

Anyway----where do I find the cheapest nastiest----upper rec----lower rec----FCG----and bolt/carrier???????

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
"Equipment Exchange"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a cheap upper I would sell you....A2 with a 11.5/5.5F/S combo....I bought more because I was interested in the Preban lower it came with. I'd like 350 shipped for the complete upper..let me know if you are interested... trades can also be entertained. [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Vulcan carbon-fiber upper/lower ($53 for the lower, don't know about the upper)

Hesse sucks, but if the point of your project is As-cheap-as-possible, go for it...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
this sounds like a terrible idea...

you obviously have enough knowledge to put something together.

how much more would it cost to use lower priced quality components.  there's some cheap stuff out there that will shoot.

which sounds cooler:

"i spent $450 on this mutt which has never malfed"

or

"i spent $375 this paperweight"

besides, if you want a ghetto rifle, ya gotta get it nickel plated, homey!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Since I already have the barrel(BM---complete) and the stock----here's what I'm lookin at.

Have barrel threaded $50

RRA parts from ADCO:

bolt/carrier $110
charging handle $16.50
lower parts $55
A4 upper rec $90

RRA lower from local dealer $140  

Total: $461.50

Was thinking I could possibly get the bolt/carrier and lower rec cheaper----the other stuff if pretty much the going rate for new parts---from any supplier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
For a true 'Ghetto' gun, you gots to steal or rob more than half of the parts, cost don't mean nuthin!! Only has to be chromed if you  buy it with drug or pimp money, don't forget to grind/chisel off any numbers.  Make sure it will fire when held 90 degrees from vertical, ejection port up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
rra bolt carrier assembly is on sale at eagle firearms for $95.00
mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top