Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 6:04:01 PM EDT
Has anyone seen one of them complete polymer Kel-Tec .223 rifles?  I saw one today & was fascinated with the 'plastic' upper & lower receivers.

However, I have to wonder about their durability.  Since I was in uniform when I was looking it over, the salesman thought I would be considering it for a duty weapon.  He commented that maybe I should consider a rifle that was made out of something other than polymer.

Comments anyone?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the Sub-2000's, and I like it for what it is.  It is my packing/truck gun.  I consider it to be a gun to be carried alot and shot a little.   I do shoot it quite a bit for fun, and such, and have had good luck, but as far as a working rifle, I think you are definitely correct.  Too many good AR's out there for day-to-day work guns.

A couple of things I notice on my gun, the front sight seems to flex where it connects to the butstock when folded.  I am sure this will affect POI.   Also, when inserting the mags into the pistol grip, many times the 2 halves of the grip seperate slightly, and the mags seem to bind a bit.  They still go in, but again, polymer does give some.

I am pleased with the little rifle.  Light, handy, very compact storage.  I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the .223's either.  I just wouldn't use if for my working rifle.  Really neat idea.  And, it does make me feel better knowing it is there, just in case.

Again, mine is .40cal Sub 2000, not the .223.

Maybe this helps, maybe not

Good luck
Doc
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm and it is the best concealed-carry piece I have ever owned. The only problem I have ever had with it was a broken firing pin from too much dry firing (D'OH!). When I called to order a new one, they sent me one for free. Kel-tec is legendary for their customer service, and I would imagine that their rifle is a lot like their pistols: decent quality for a decent price, no more no less.

$.98 is your change,
-J
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the .223 at a recent gun show and was disappointed.  From the folded position, you need to pull a pin commpletely out, and then re-insert it once the rifle has been brought to the ready to fire position.  Soooo, unlike the 9mm model, it is not quick into action.  Also, seemed pretty cheesy construction, especially the thin plastic bipod legs that fold down.  Definitely no longer on my wish list.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
We've had three or four of them in our store, and none lasted a week, before selling. No complaints from customers, with a couple commenting on how surprised they were that the accuracy was much better than anticipated.

From my examination, (haven't fired one) it seems like it would make a good emergency survival gun for backpacking, camping, light aircraft going over rough country, etc. No way shape or form I'd consider it for combat or heavy usage, but it wold be OK for emergencies. Extremely light and compact when folded, with storage in the butt for either two smaller spare magazines, or one GI 30 round mag.

I did find one annoying flaw. The integral folding bipod, when extended, doesn't lock and the angle when extended is 90 degrees. Try using it from the prone position, with the rifle level, and the bipod has an annoying tendancy to fold up on you. The cure is to lightly relieve the legs where they stop when opened, so it opens further than 90 degrees. That way when held level, the bipods feet will extend forward of the pivot point and not be so likely to fold up on you. If you can examine one in person, it's easy to see the problem, and easy to see the fix.

All in all, not a bad little rifle for the money.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I looked at the .223 at a recent gun show and was disappointed.  From the folded position, you need to pull a pin commpletely out, and then re-insert it once the rifle has been brought to the ready to fire position.  Soooo, unlike the 9mm model, it is not quick into action.  Also, seemed pretty cheesy construction, especially the thin plastic bipod legs that fold down.  Definitely no longer on my wish list.

I had forgotten about that pin. Another minor annoyance. If I had one, I'd fix some kind of pull ring to it, so it could be easily removed for either take down or assembly.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree, their sub-compact pistol are great.  Some of our officers carry them in the front pocket & you never even know it's there.

As for the rifle I earlier described, it kind of reminded me of a solution in search of a problem.  My M4 is light enough for duty use.

www.kel-tec.com/su-16_rifle.htm

edited to add URL of picture of weapon
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
excellent trunk gun.  

Polymer, takes AR mags, I believe it has a better gas system, and won't raise too many eyebrows if you get pulled over with it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top