Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:19:08 PM EDT
Hey all, great forum you have here.

I'm looking to buy my first AR15/M4 variant and I think I've found the one I want. My question to you experts is, am I getting ripped off?

The Weapon is a .308 DPMS upper and lower with a match grade trigger, heavy chrome free floated barrell, competition pistol grip, tactical charging handle, and flat top upper. It comes with a nice little bipod ( not sure of make) and has a fixed stock that is adjustable for length.  No optics.
  It basically looks like the standard DPMS .308, except for the gunsmiths fine tuning on the trigger and the tactical charging handle.
  The dealer is asking $1325.00 for the weapon and 2 FN/FAL mags. Is that too much or should I jump on it?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Tight Lines,
Sgt. Bennett
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
do research, you would find a better deal here

the 308 dpms will have a stainless barrel, not chrome lined, also the fal mags are 5 dollars each, the bipod may or may not be worth anything, you need to be able to identify the match trigger and tell the difference between that and a standard unit, i think the price is too high

what exactly are you looking for
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
ps, the dpms does not take fal mags, it has a 10 rd mag, plastic, and unreliable from what i hear, the only mags that will work in it that have a normal capacity are the stoner sr25 mags, and they are 100 bucks each

do you want a 308 cal, or do you want a 556 cal

556 is military cal, cheaper ammo, cheaper guns ect

308 gets pricey for ammo and gun/mags
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Cannot answer if you are getting ripped off or not, but welcome to Ar15.com!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here . ...  .  . can't answer but welcome to the time and money pit!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Price too high, plus stay away from DPMS if you can.  They talk the talk but can't walk the walk.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
That price seems high to me as well.  I would shop around awhile.  Welcome to the forum, and as someone already said, welcome to the money pit!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Kiesler's sells the dpms .308 for sub-$900 with the 24" stainless barrel.  If the rifle you saw takes FN-FAL mags, then it is probably a Bushmaster. I think their barrels are chrome-MOLY, not chrome.  If it is a Bushmaster .308 then that price is in the right range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out EE
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
probably a little high, it does not accept FAL mags.  I'm waiting for their steel ones this fall.  shop around - oh... welcome to the plague
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input guys.

I may have to take another look at the lowere receiver, I'm positive it accepts FN/FAL mags so it might not be a DPMS.
 THe gunsmith that fine tuned the trigger is very reputable, so I trust him if he says it's a match grade trigger group.

Basically I just want a .308 tack driver so I can turn it into a wanna be sniper rifle. ( Yeah, I know, sniper rifles don't have shiny barrels.)

Thanks again for the advice, I hope I can contribute to the forum once I get my hands on my first AR. For now I just shoot a YUGO SKS, a Romanian M-44, and a Yugo M-48 Mauser. I've had enough of the cheap foreign guns and I think it's time to buy what I shoot on the job.

Tight lines,
Sgt. Bennett
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Price too high, plus stay away from DPMS if you can.  They talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Yeah, I'd like a Bushmaster or a Colt but Uncle Sam doesn't pay me enough yet. I figured DPMS would be a good start. And from what I've heard, most people aren't too dissapointed with them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, I'd like a Bushmaster or a Colt but Uncle Sam doesn't pay me enough yet. I figured DPMS would be a good start. And from what I've heard, most people aren't too dissapointed with them.

I've had great luck with them
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top