Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:04:46 PM EDT
What is the original length of the CAR-15 barrel with the flash hider (slotted type) on it? Am I going to have to SBR this to make it look like the real one?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure of original length - Here's some info, but I don't know how accurate it is

Here's one option if you don't want to go the SBR route:

It's a Bushmaster 11.5"/5.5" Flash Hider - stick it on an upper with A1 sights. Not quite the same as the original, but cool looking just the same.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that and like that look alot I just wonder how close to the real deal it is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It is not that close to it. The E1 had a 10 1/2 inch barrel and the E2 had an 11 1/2 inch barrel and the moderator is 4 1/2 inches. This would make the OAL 15 inches for the E2. Also the barrel diameter is smaller and it has A1 sights and a tear drop FA and no shell deflector. And no bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what a good copy will look like.  

Dan

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Dan

home.netcom.com/~brownhen/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/xm177e2wduracoat50.jpg

Hey Dan, where did you get a pic of my XM177E2 clone, complete w/the selector that goes all the way around?? At least you could have included a pic of my class 3 paperwork
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Dan

home.netcom.com/~brownhen/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/xm177e2wduracoat50.jpg

Het Dan:

Question... ???

Is that one a them original rubber coated metal collapsible stocks? Where'd ja get that thang? and how much wuz it?

TIA

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dan

Well then where can I get a barrel like that? One where the slotted flash supressor is notched at the back and a slimmer barrel profile.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get the moderator (fake one) from total silence As for the barrel... I am not sure yet but I will find some place to do it...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#9]
shamayim, here are a few more pics.  This profile shows it as a GAU-5AA (no forward assist).  From the pic above, you can't tell it's not an XM177-E2.  

Slv2fun, the stock is an aluminum 2 position stock taken from a preban Eagle Arms.  The stock appears to be a powder coat type finish.  It's not an exact repro stock, but it's close enough for me.  

Disco_Stu_TX, as stated, the fake moderator with washer was purchased from Total Silence.  The barrel was purchased from C & S Metall Werkes.  The barrel started out as a 20 inch  (with 1x12 twist).  C & S shortened the barrel, drilled a new gas port, and moved the front sight.  The barrel length is now 11.5 inches.  The barrel functions perfectly in full auto.  

I used Duracoat and the upper receiver is a close match to the lower, but not perfect.  Reason, the lower is made of stainless steel.  I've always liked the "classic" Colt commando look.  They are just too cool.

Dan

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Dan, that is one slick rifle. You must be proud of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
JHaines, thanks.  I've always wanted a rifle like this since I was a kid.  I think it was the movie, "Uncommon Valor," that spiked my original interest.  

Dan
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
JHaines, thanks.  I've always wanted a rifle like this since I was a kid.  I think it was the movie, "Uncommon Valor," that spiked my original interest.  

Dan

I got fascinated with this rifle from watching "Tour of Duty"... BTW where did you get the buttstock from?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Dan, is the fake moderator just made of a pipe or is it machined in the front in a conical shape like the real one? The reason I ask is that I am going to do one of these but I cant go the SBR rout so I was wanting to extend the moderator by 1/2 inch and perm attach it to a 12 inch barrel so neither the moderator or the barrel look freakishly long. Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW DPMS was at Camp Perry where they had the 11.5 thin profile, chrome lined barrels. Hack the lug off and you've got the profile of the XM177 barrel anyway.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#15]
DM1975, the stock is an aluminum 2 position stock taken from a preban Eagle Arms. The stock appears to be a powder coat type finish.  

The fake moderator, from Total Silence, comes with a separate washer (some people call it a grenade ring).  WA Tom (Total Silence) said he makes them exactly like the originals, except for the internal baffles.   If I were going the non NFA route, I'd cut the barrel at 12 1/4 inches (or thereabouts) and permanently mount the moderator with washer as sold by Total Silence.  This will get you to the 16 inch barrel length.  

Dan

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a pic of the kit I sell. I'm currently  working on a source for new Colt A1 parts so I will post prices in the EE shortly. Anyone that wants reproduction Sp1/XM177 stocks let me know. The only difference between these stocks and Colt one is the 4 postion tubes.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top