Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2004 12:38:22 PM EDT
OK so I got a field guage. Dropped it in both my ARs and with finger preasure the bolt did not close and the carrier protruded from the rear of the upper.

Now should I have used the bolt carrier? I did not slam it home? Just rested it on the guage and finger preasure? I thought I saw a post where they said dont use the carrier.

Anyway the guage fell on its own from one of the ARs and fell with a tap on the guard from the other.

Am I good?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
To use it properly, you have to strip the bolt, take the extractor and ejector out. Then see if the bolt will close and turn with light finger pressure. If you can't reach down to the chamber with the upper assembled, a section of PVC pipe just big enough to press over the bolt tail, six to eight inches long, will do the trick.

Slamming the bolt home on a headspace gauge is like tightening a micrometer with a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on if you have a military field gage or civi field gage. The military one is relieved to allow you to use the bolt and carrier as is. The civi one is not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It depends on if you have a military field gage or civi field gage. The military one is relieved to allow you to use the bolt and carrier as is. The civi one is not.

Yes this was a military gage.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top