Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2004 9:28:22 AM EDT
I am considering getting both a pistol and folding stock carbine after the AWB. Mainly just to have not that I need one. So do you have anything good or bad to say about them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am considering getting both a pistol and folding stock carbine after the AWB. Mainly just to have not that I need one. So do you have anything good or bad to say about them.

They're OK for an odd-duck AR variant...

Boltcarrier & other parts are (obviously) non-standard...

Fortunately, it is NOT a gas-piston conversion, it's still a revised direct-gas gun...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The Olympic Arms AR15 pistol I have fired was the biggest hunk of junk I had ever layed hands on, 3-4 shots max before it would hiccup and short stroke.    That was back with M193 spec PMC that used to run quite hot.

AR pistols also are very ungainly or akward to fire, something about having the optic or sights sitting roughly 4 inches higher than what you are normally accustomed to when firing a regular handgun, just plain akward.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if you fired an OA-93 or not not... just because it was a pistol build on an OA lower does not make it an OA-93. Factory OA pistols did not even have the rear of the receiver machined out for the receiver extension tube. My experience has been excellent, and I simply cannot wait for the ban to go away so I can get MORE of them!!

Excellent product.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get a stripped receiver and make it a pistol receiver (after the ban).  You can get pistol buffer assemblies pretty inexpensively.  I was thinking about using a CAR buffer assembly instead (minus the stock) to help with reliability.  I would skip the OA stuff, I have read a lot of negative threads by people who bought them and expected more from them than what they got.  I also do not like the idea of using nonmilspec bolt/carriers.  It would be nice not to have a buffer tube sticking out the back of the receiver but the regular ones (using standard carriers) only come out 3-4 inches.  I would rather go with a reliable system with widely available parts.

The same issues exist with the detachable stock/folding stock AR from OA.

I would say skip OA and go with a more reputable manufacturer.  Search Olymic Arms on this site and you will find a lot more threads about problems with OAs than you would expect to find.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Search Olymic Arms on this site and you will find a lot more threads about problems with OAs than you would expect to find.

I could not find anything for Oly Arms. And for some reason the search engine don't work for me. Looks like I need to pay my dues and become a member here. And I will do that tonight.

You guys have convinced me not to go with an OA 93 pistol. I see I can save about $4-500. If I get a kit from "Model 1" for $450, which is all ready on order. And a striped lower for $135 OTD from Oly arms. I'm sure I can figure out how to bolt one together.

But now can some of you please convince me that an OA 93 folder is a good or bad idea? I really like the folder and Oly arms is only 30 miles from my house. And they do seem to stand behind there stuff. I had a problem with one of there M14 barrels not head spacing, I got from a dealer. Something that should have never left there shop. And by the way they in stalled the barrel and I checked the head spacing with my GO-NO-Go gauges. It would swallow the Field Guage no problem. It had a hard time keeping 4 MOA. The new barrel I got shot sub MOA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You guys have convinced me not to go with an OA 93 pistol. I see I can save about $4-500. If I get a kit from "Model 1" for $450, which is all ready on order. And a striped lower for $135 OTD from Oly arms. I'm sure I can figure out how to bolt one together.

here is a link to the lower assembly instructions.  I have followed them and they are pretty good.

When you pay your dues it sometimes takes a little while for the membership to start.  Mine took about 3 weeks.  One of the moderators is in charge of the memberships and does them every few weeks when there are a bunch waiting to be activated.  The delay can be a little frustrating...but its worth the wait.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up on the member ship taking so long. And even though I paid $20 BRONZE Membership they may take 3 weeks? I think that's some damn slow service!!!

Can some one point me to some OA93 carbine threads? I sure as hell don't want to wait three weeks before I can  do a search. And I have all ready looked through the last 30 days of threads in the AR Discussions. Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Search Olymic Arms on this site and you will find a lot more threads about problems with OAs than you would expect to find.

I could not find anything for Oly Arms. And for some reason the search engine don't work for me. Looks like I need to pay my dues and become a member here. And I will do that tonight.

But now can some of you please convince me that an OA 93 folder is a good or bad idea? I really like the folder and Oly arms is only 30 miles from my house. And they do seem to stand behind there stuff. I had a problem with one of there M14 barrels not head spacing, I got from a dealer. Something that should have never left there shop. And by the way they in stalled the barrel and I checked the head spacing with my GO-NO-Go gauges. It would swallow the Field Guage no problem. It had a hard time keeping 4 MOA. The new barrel I got shot sub MOA.

There are 2, and only 2 companies that make direct-gas buffer-forward uppers: ZM Weapons and Oly.

Oly's system came first, ZM's second...

If you want a folding stock AR, one of those 2 are the way to go...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top