Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 3:18:52 PM EDT
Hiya guys.  I'm *hoping* I am even posting in the right forum to begin with.  I recently picked up a Bushmaster shorty, A3, my first.  I carried a few different rifles in the service, lastly an M4 A3 type.  I am just kinda curious, (all sarcasm aside ), do you guys have any suggestions for a new AR owner?  I am not looking to shoot in matches, etc.  This is more of a plinker for me.  I mean mainly ammo, or things along those lines.  I do plan on doing something different in the future, maybe a build of my own, who knows.  Anyways, I figured I'd ask the guys who have been there and done that, before I got knee deep into it.  I'm sure I'll have 1,000 questions as I get more rounds downrange.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Prepare to have the accessories on your rifle (optics, forearms, lights) swell while your wallet shrinks Oh and welcome to the forums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
welcome

well sounds like you already know how to use one. now for ammo, depends on what you want. I use Federal American Eagle 62 gr FMJ for just about anything, in my 1/9 bbl's and 1/7 bbl's. how do you plan on setting the rifle up? with or without A3 carry handle? with optics? the two neccessities you need to start off with are mags and ammo, and it never hurts to have too much or too many.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome !
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea my wallet is emploding. I hope I spelled that one right.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
welcome to the disease...this incurable disease
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the land of nice rifles and empty cupboards!

You need ammo and mags.  Fedeal XM193 or Winchester Q3131A are what I use exclusively.  They are cheap and very reliable, not to mention very deadly (they are essentially M193, the Vietnam round.) Mags, stick with USGI.  Also zero your rifle with the IBZ, procedure shown here:

IBZ
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome, and good looking keeping your bank account full and your significant other from finding out what you are spending all that money on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, more info than I expected already  I am totally clueless in the optics department, to be honest.  From what I have seen, I can see how my wallet will shrink as the rifle swells, heh.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top