Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 2:09:21 PM EDT
once I saw a KAC Master key that was considered an AOW. but it was short barreled. Is there a kit or a 16" shotgun that this can legaly be done to?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the minimum length 26"?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless registered as an NFA weapon, the shotgun barrel has to be at least 18 inches in length. Rifle barrels are required to be 16 inches in length. Both are required to be at least 26 inches overall length as well, unless registered as NFA weapons.

Also, a "Master Key," if it is attached to a rifle cannot be considered an AOW as it has a stock, once being attached to a rifle. It would be considered a Short Barrelled Shotgun. A shotgun based AOW is not allowed to have a buttstock. At least that is the way I understand it. Before trying it, I would get an opinion, IN WRITING, from the BATF Technical Branch.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
the KAC MAsterkey is considered an SBR, I asked the question awhile back on a couple of boards and even a got pic.....http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=187982

that's the one I asked in this forum awhile ago....hope this helps some..

Joe
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
once I saw a KAC Master key that was considered an AOW. but it was short barreled. Is there a kit or a 16" shotgun that this can legaly be done to?

There is a kit to do this with an 870, unfortunately for you, I don't remembe the link. But, it is out there.

Now, it's really not practical to do it. It makes the rifle nose heavy, and doeasn't really have a lot of utility. IMHO you are better off with a pistol grip shotty to go along with your carbine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the KAC MAsterkey is considered an SBR, I asked the question awhile back on a couple of boards and even a got pic.....http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=187982

Joe

Not sure if you meant SBR, I think it would be an SBS.

If this is the case, what happens if you take it off of your rifle?  (In the case of wanting to use the rifle without the shotgun)  Does a SBS have to have a stock or not?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
No, an SBS or a SBR is perfectly legal with the stock removed. To the best of my knowledge.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe

Not sure if you meant SBR, I think it would be an SBS.

If this is the case, what happens if you take it off of your rifle?  (In the case of wanting to use the rifle without the shotgun)  Does a SBS have to have a stock or not?

sbr or sbs, I was eating dinner when i posted that so i was distracted, but either way you all got the idea

joe
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
sbr or sbs, I was eating dinner when i posted that so i was distracted, but either way you all got the idea

joe

Just checking
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone with pics of this?  The only place I have seeb that is in the video games.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Whay about the crossfire MK1 I saw those for sale once.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whay about the crossfire MK1 I saw those for sale once.

But not anymore, because it was a commercial failure.  A pump-action 3-round shotgun mated to a pump-action .223 rifle isn't the tactical solution to questions that many people were asking...

-Troy

I never looked at one in person just saw the ads and that was back before I was as deep into stuff as I am now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Cal's has the masterkey for sale here and it must be registered as a SBS.  Cal's also has the standalone buttstock assembly.  Pretty neat idea, but not the most practical.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
if you put an 18 inch bbl on a master key would it be legal?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
if you put an 18 inch bbl on a master key would it be legal?

Yes, but awkward.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used a masterkey in real life and it worked great for it's intended purpose which was "getting in the door"...... After that it was just useless weight to lug around, unhandy to reload until you are standing in a hallway outside a locked door that needs to be banged. I preferred a seperate stand alone shotgun such as this.

Super Shorty Video
With the stylish holster which precludes the use of a normal handgun

We had some Mossberg ones as I recall and there were a couple Ithaca's hanging around.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm just looking for a fun project, a cool photo opp, and a neat toy to blast produce with. Honestly, if my house was broken into the guy would get away while i spend 10 minets considering witch weapon to use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm just looking for a fun project, a cool photo opp, and a neat toy to blast produce with. Honestly, if my house was broken into the guy would get away while i spend 10 minets considering witch weapon to use

Use the M16 Jonesy gave you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
There is nothing that the shotgun can do (aside from breaching doors) that the AR can't. Save the weight, carry more 5.56. If you want a shotty get one with a folding stock so you can carry it on your back. JMHO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've used a masterkey in real life and it worked great for it's intended purpose which was "getting in the door"...... After that it was just useless weight to lug around, unhandy to reload until you are standing in a hallway outside a locked door that needs to be banged. I preferred a seperate stand alone shotgun such as this.
home.kc.rr.com/kkroger/sus3s.jpg
Super Shorty Video
With the stylish holster which precludes the use of a normal handgun
home.kc.rr.com/kkroger/Serbu%20Holster.jpg
We had some Mossberg ones as I recall and there were a couple Ithaca's hanging around.

that is sweet!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
that is sweet!

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm just looking for a fun project, a cool photo opp, and a neat toy to blast produce with. Honestly, if my house was broken into the guy would get away while i spend 10 minets considering witch weapon to use

Use the M16 Jonesy gave you.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
he's holding it until I turn 21
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I was making these for awhile, 7075 T-6 Aluminum alloy, hard-coat anodized to mil-spec, for $125.  The stupid front mounting brackets are prices way too high now ($34.95 from Sarco).  I might do another run if there is enough interest.
TNT ARmoury
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn AFSOC!!! whats the overall length on that thing? Like 18" I wish i had one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top