Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 9:01:03 AM EDT
I need some people to talk me out of spending $75 to have KKF replace my neutered front sight with a "real" one for post-sunset installation.  (He will already have the 14.5 upper to solder on a Phantom FS.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me personally, I couldn't  justify the cost.  I don't think I would ever have a need for a bayo lug but thats just me.  I dont ever plan on running out of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I totally agree on the lack of need.  It's more of a case of want.  (To have it complete, in an unfettered state.)  You ever spend money on something because you want it, yet later on you think that you could have gotten along fine w/o it or that you totally regret it?  I was hoping to hear of the technical reasons to keep it the way that it is.  (possible zeroing problems? or anything else)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a scenerio that many will face.  Personally I dumped all my post ban uppers a couple months ago now.  I traded them on a Preban Chinese AK.  My justification for doing so was that:

A) To retrofit the FSB and thread the barrel + add a FS would cost a significant portion of the uppers value.  (Also, if not done by someone with  skill- it may damage a perfectly serviceable upper)  So if I could get good trade now for the post ban uppers, I figured might as well take a small hit in getting something that I truly want.

B) The Preban Chinese AK will take a minimal hit in value as the 89 import ban will still be in place.  The PB AK was all that I wanted NOW.

c)  If the ban goes away and I later wished to trade the uppers on an evil correct upper the hit would again be substantial.

So I ended up trading the uppers off, keeping a lower and within a month I will know which route to go concerning uppers.  I'm thinking M4 configuration and addinga collapsible stock....

I would not be able to justify $75 for a replacement FSB.... However, YMMV.  As I see it, if it costs $75 for the FSB install + another $75(?) for the barrel to be threaded- it would seem to me that there will be folks willing to take a post ban upper + $150 +/- for a new Pre ban upper after the ban.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if a bayonet will work with a Phantom.  IIRC, the Phantom is larger in dia. than the standard FS.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know if a bayonet will work with a Phantom.  IIRC, the Phantom is larger in dia. than the standard FS.

Bayo will work with the phantom just fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Considering cost and HASSLE vs very low utility (bayonet???) no... I would just pass on this.

On the other hand, a telestock, quick and easy to put on, relatively low cost, and you use it every time you handle the rifle (even just transporting).  High utility.

There are other things to spend money on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no standard for taper pin hole placement (even with barrels from the same manufacturer) and attempting to swap on FSB from one barrel to another takes alot more work than just punching out the taper pins and swapping the FSB.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Telestock is on order from Pete in NH.
I think I've decided to skip the FSB swap.
(I just found out my wife wants a $600 throw rug.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
From Kurt:

$35 for FSB labor
$35 for threading barrel.

He will do two for $125.

Add cost of choice of FSB and FH.

Shipping cost to and from totals about $30.

3-4 week turnaround.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered  pre ban FSB from YHM for around $16.  Kurt said he'll charge $35 to put it on.  I don't need it and it is costly, but I want it and that's all that matters.  If you want, then do it and don't worry about.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Telestock is on order from Pete in NH.
I think I've decided to skip the FSB swap.
(I just found out my wife wants a $600 throw rug.)

Tell her it should work out great for laying your guns on and cleaning them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top