Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:30:01 AM EDT
I'm looking for any opinions comparing these two brakes. I'm looking at these two because I want to limit the sound increase as much as possible. I need something that I can permanently attach to a threaded barrel and make it post-ban / NJ legal. How do these two compare in sound and recoil reduction? Also, does anyone know how long the Cav Comp is? The BM site says 2 3/16" for the Izzy. It appears that the Izzy brake is a bit longer than the Cav Comp. Thanks.

Note: To all those who would suggest I wait until the ban ends and get a flash hider, I can't. The NJ ban will not end, so I need a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It appears that the Cav Comp is not long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel to 16", so I'd have to gather it adds less than 1 1/2".

I've found a few threads that talk about the Izzy brakes effectiveness. It seems to work well reducing the recoil. There were mixed opinions on how loud it was. Some said it was nothing, other that it was very loud. I have been unable to find any opinions on the Cav Comp. Can anyone comment on it's effectiveness?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It appears that the Cav Comp is not long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel to 16", so I'd have to gather it adds less than 1 1/2".

I've found a few threads that talk about the Izzy brakes effectiveness. It seems to work well reducing the recoil. There were mixed opinions on how loud it was. Some said it was nothing, other that it was very loud. I have been unable to find any opinions on the Cav Comp. Can anyone comment on it's effectiveness?

Not true, the Cav Comp will bring a 14.5" barrel out to the legal 16.1" length.  The Cav Comp uses a special crush washer that will make it legal.  

I have two Cav Comps and I think they work great.  So great, in fact, that I am not planning on changing them out after September 13th.  They are not any louder than my A2 FH.  IMHO they are one of the best Comps that I have tried.  Sorry, I can't comment on the the Izzy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not true, the Cav Comp will bring a 14.5" barrel out to the legal 16.1" length.  The Cav Comp uses a special crush washer that will make it legal.  

I have two Cav Comps and I think they work great.  So great, in fact, that I am not planning on changing them out after September 13th.  They are not any louder than my A2 FH.  IMHO they are one of the best Comps that I have tried.  Sorry, I can't comment on the the Izzy.

Interesting. I was going off the Maryland AR15 site - Muzzle Devices review. It says there that the Cav Comp doesn't bring it out to legal length. They must be mistaken.

Thanks for the opinion on the Cav Comp. I was leaning that way initally, but I just wanted to compare it against the Izzy.

One last question, is the Cav Comp closed on the bottom?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you need the brake?
Have you considered Kurt's fake supressors?
www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/29585.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. I was going off the Maryland AR15 site - Muzzle Devices review. It says there that the Cav Comp doesn't bring it out to legal length. They must be mistaken.

Thanks for the opinion on the Cav Comp. I was leaning that way initally, but I just wanted to compare it against the Izzy.

One last question, is the Cav Comp closed on the bottom?

The MD shooters sight probably needs to be updated.  I can't find the link where Garry talked about the Cav Comp and the 16.1" limit but if you'll notice their very own Trooper uses the Cav Comp.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got one of the old 22mm Cav Comps on a preban (20" bbl). It works very well as a comp and limits flash substantially over a plain muzzle. In fact, I can't tell alot of difference in it an an A2 FS with some ammo. It is much quieter than the Y Comp, JP, Smith or AK Brake. Looks good too!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you need the brake?

Yes. What it comes down to is I want to order an LMT 16" upper and I'm hoping whereever I order it from can permenantly attach the brake to make it legal in NJ. It might also come down to whatever they have available, but I wanted to make a decsion before I try to order.

Have you considered Kurt's fake supressors?
www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/29585.htm

I have looked at them, but haven't researched them much. I'd consider them as an option, but it looks like I'm going to go with the Cav Comp. Thanks.

ipschoser1, thanks for the opinion. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

hug.gif
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top