Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2004 3:50:48 AM EDT
well, i had ordered a few of these from ameetec and put them together and have had no problems function wise. but i have found something that has been bothering the sh*t out of me. all the searches that has came up says that the lowers are built to "mil-spec" or similar to bushie lowers

but i have found on the lowers i recieved which is the mega lower with the gator grip and marked "multi" are somewhat different at the rear shelf area.

heres a pic i got from one of the threads.     sorry if this isnt suppose to be taken

right at this person's thumb is on the right hand wall of the lower there is the area that protrudes a little right at the safety selector hole. this is similar to the ameetec and bushie lowers i have but the problem is my mega lowers which are identical to the ones in the pic besides cal. matkings do not have this protruding area

mine are flat like the rest of the lower reciever walls and i can actually look down on the reciever and see half of the detent hole for the safety.

i know that it does not cause a problem but was wondering what is the difference for? how would this benefit me having it like so?

thank you for looking at my post i appreciate any help that can be offered
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like some of sear block machined into the lower.  Guess you won't be able to put full auto parts into that lower.  DARN!

The Megas I have also have the high shelf, IIRC (I'm at work, not at home, so I can't go look).  That means you can't install a registered drop in auto sear (RDIAS).  No full auto for you!

Basically the manufacturer has made a PC lower, so that there is very little chance of you being able to modify the lower for full auto operation.  If you have no need for full auto, you will be OK.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont quite follow you, so let me try and rephrase it better

the picture shows the right hand wall thicker than the left one

which is the same as my bushie and ameetec lowers

the mega lowers i have are of same thickness on both the left and right wall that the safety selector would go through. which is  thin like the left side. meaniing a wider gap between the two wall than the one shown in the pic.

im guessing the shelf is what an accuwedge would sit on. if so that is the same on all my lowers
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'm not following you.  I'll look at my Megas when I get home and try to see what you are talking about.  Maybe I can help more with one in front of me.

Regardless, I don't think you have an issue.  Maybe a slight maching tolerance issue.  Assemble it and see if it functions OK.  I bet it will be OK.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
it functions fine just bothers me cause they look different thats all.

just wanting to know why this was done

thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If I read your post correctly, you say that the Mega lower does not have the 'extra' material above the right side of the safety selector as your other lowers have.  That this area only extends about halfway up the hole where the selector is installed.

First, no AR15 is Mil-spec, since there is no Mil-spec for AR15s. Some are more similar to the M16 mil-spec than others, but none that I've run into are 100% Mil-spec. They may be anodized and finished to mil-spec, they may even closely match the machining drawings, but every one that I've run into have had some kind of change made to differentiate it from an M16 lower.

That section that is built up in your Ameetec and Bushie lowers (as well as RRA and others) is to prevent the installation of the M16 Autosear or a RDIAS. Many manufacturers do this, as well as make other 'modifications' so that an M16 FCG cannot be installed in their AR15 lowers.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall reading on the thread about Mega lowers that early receivers were made with the protruding section, but later production were milled out so folks could use DIAS's in their Mega lower.

Basically, consumer response generated the type of lower you have.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My mega is smooth too.  Doesnt have that part sticking out.  I"m looking at it right now.

The thing i dont like about my mega is, it's not as tight as a fit like my BM lower.  My BM is rock solid.  When i put the upper on my mega, there is a very tiny hint of play.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My MEGA is smooth sided as well. Mine fits tight, I sprung for the MEGA upper also when I ordered it. My Stinger is smooth sided too.

Had them both about a year, give or take.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That is the dumbest thing ever.  Any half wit with half a brain who can figure out how to operate a mill coul easily overcome that minor obstacle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That is the dumbest thing ever.  Any half wit with half a brain who can figure out how to operate a mill coul easily overcome that minor obstacle.

i dont know what you are trying to emply by this post but i was just wondering what purpose the extra forgings served.

i have no intention or plans for any kind of auto sear so the block or not does not matter but i would like to know what the purpose was when the lower was made

much thanks to all that took the time to reply, positive or negative
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top