Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2004 3:48:05 PM EDT
Sorry for asking a dumb question like this, but what would happen if I reverse the spring and remove the detent on the dustcover on the AR15 so that it stays closed constantly, and pops open only when a brass is being ejected?  Would the blowback pressure be enough to force the cover open and clear it for the brass?

My guess is that it'll cause jams, but has anyone tried?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is that your guess is a good one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hm it's enough to force it to open in its current configuration, but you sure will have a hard time clearing a jam  I believe one of Stoner's rifles had such a feature that keeps the port open only when the bolt is recoiling, wonder why that never caught on
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll try it but it will be a week before I hit the range again.

mark
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
let us know how bad she jams
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
when is it open on a normal rifle? or how do you open it?

Charging handle?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess it depends on how good your ejector spring is . I have an ArmaLite M15A4 SPR upper
with bolt and carrier that sends brass at least 15 feet at the 4:00 position . If I were to
try your setup it would be on that one .
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
when is it open on a normal rifle? or how do you open it?

Charging handle?

C/H or by firing.

mark
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Would not be reliable in the long run, if its not broke don't fix it !  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hm it's enough to force it to open in its current configuration,

No, it actually isn't.  The bolt carrier hits the cover with enough force to open it and the brass never touches the cover.

My guess is that the bolt carrier will hit the cover with enough force that the cover will flip open against the receiver and bounce back up and the spring will add its force so that the cover will slam shut  just as the casing is coming out, either deflecting the casings high into the air or more likely batting them right back into the action causing a double feed that will be that much more difficult to clear.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hm it's enough to force it to open in its current configuration,

No, it actually isn't.  The bolt carrier hits the cover with enough force to open it and the brass never touches the cover.

My guess is that the bolt carrier will hit the cover with enough force that the cover will flip open against the receiver and bounce back up and the spring will add its force so that the cover will slam shut  just as the casing is coming out, either deflecting the casings high into the air or more likely batting them right back into the action causing a double feed that will be that much more difficult to clear.

Sounds like what my late Dad used to call "A good idea, that's not worth a damn.."

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
You would likely need to lighten the spring tension to just enough to close the dust cover for it to have a chance of working.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
hahahahaha

that's exactly what I was going to say.  The M4 on Counter-Strike does what he's talking about doing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone consider the wear on the bolt carrier and to the dust cover? Beating the crap out of your upper and bolt seems senseless.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Beating the crap out of your upper and bolt seems senseless.

That pretty well sums it up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
not tagged.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top